Tuesday, August 18, 2020

That was a lot more difficult than it had to be.

So, when Ron was discharged they gave me the names of a couple of doctors and a very stern warning I had to do follow up.  I have APS crawling up my ass, OF COURSE I have to do a follow up (I did not say that).  

So I called the number of the first doctor and was sent to a telemarketer trying to sell me a fall alert system, very aggressive.  That was the only number I had, so I looked the guy up on Google and the same number.  So much for that.  

Then I called the number given for the neuro, who was across town.  I went to voicemail, left a polite message, and still have not heard back.  What if I had a question?  That did not bode well.  

So I said, "Screw it I am going to go to my doctors".  Ron needs to see A primary, and A neurologist.  It doesn't matter who.  I called a local neuro.  We saw him years ago and he was very nice.  They worked us in Thursday.  Very nice, taking it seriously, not freaking over the word "seizure".  I did explain the hospital had given us a prescription.  So I am happy with neuro.  Also this guy is not far, Ron doesn't travel well so that is a bonus.  And from what I remember the co pay was not unreasonable.  

Ron has a guy he wants to be his primary, it didn't work out to see him last week so, on a whim, I called to see if we could see him.  Monday.  Very good.  I also filled out a bunch of online forms as well.  This will be the "high blood pressure" visit.  I have been told 135/95 (today's reading I found the meter) is "not great" so they may up the dose on the blood pressure pill.  

So I have appointments for both doctors in just a few days. I am very pleased.  We cannot run out of Ron's medication that would be VERY BAD especially the seizure pills.  

Ron is OK with this.  He is a little moody but these are trying times and he has to accept two diagnoses - high blood pressure, and seizures.  That is a lot.  

I did a lot of other things I won't detail but did catch up on housework, laundry, etc.  I need to do the litter boxes at some point.  I also have a pot of split pea soup going for Ron.  

Everything I am reading on both conditions (seizures/high blood pressure) say that low carb is indicated .  He eats pretty low carb now it will not be hard to make a few modifications.  Like, don't put rice in the split pea soup.  That is easily done.  I am going to try to get him eating pork rinds as salty snacks are a point for him.  He doesn't eat a lot of carbs day to day but when he does it is almost always a salty snack.  

After bills, I have THIRTY dollars in my account and $10 of that will go for fees so really $20.  Not complaining, the bills are paid.  But I will have to wait on buying him some of those gourmet pork rinds.  The other vendor sells "Macs" BBQ pork rind and I will buy a couple one ounce bags from them tomorrow and see if they take.  That would be great I could just order some from the other vendor now and then.  

So I need to reduce his carbs.  He did have some V8 with lunch so that's good, I will keep buying that.  One of my longtime friends told me tomato products are horrible for people with inflammation but EIGHT vegetables, he never eats veggies...and he doesn't consume a lot.  

And yes I know it has sodium and sodium does not get along with blood pressure in people of black descent.  Which he is.  There is a lot I have to address, in his diet.  

I wanted to be a dietitian for a while, I am getting my chance: a low sodium, high protein, low carb diet for a very picky eater.  I will have my hands full; if I tell him "this is restricted" he will buck and if I tell him "You need to eat this" he won't.  It should be interesting.  

Tonight I will offer him a choice of pizza (thanks again!), split pea soup, or roast chicken.  He can tell me what he wants and I will give it to him.  

I don't know if he wants to work tomorrow or even if he should.  I will let him look at the trips and decide.  To be honest, between us, it will be a lot easier if he stays home.  

But mentally I think he needs to get out and see people.  

No comments: