Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Not my kind of alarm clock (Very early Wednesday)

 I went to bed early,woke up a while later at 9, went back to sleep.  About midnight I heard Ron yell/grunt and went in to his room to find him having a seizure.  He was on his side kicking the bookcase.  

You may wonder what I do for him and what he needs done.  Well, first, I rolled him over so he would stop kicking the bookcase.  He may very well be black and blue tomorrow but I got him set as soon as I could.  I watched his alarm clock, it was less than a minute, pretty short for him.  

Once he stopped I rolled him over on his side again so he wouldn't choke on his saliva.  He breathes very heavily for a minute or two after.  I turned on his fan because he's always overheated after a seizure.  And I gave him a cup, he always wants one, a clean one, in case he needs to vomit but he has never so far.  

Why does he have the seizures?  He has left temporal lobe damage, I have seen the MRI.  That causes the epilepsy.  It also affects his word recall, etc.  For instance, he calls his vanilla vodka "ivory".  I speak Ron so I get it but it can be VERY confusing for someone else.  

But after all that I was WIDE AWAKE.  So I am staying up for a little bit.  For instance, he just asked me to give him a bath.  He just had a full blown seizure, and got very sweaty.  I am sure he would want a bath!  I got him; he was very happy to have me apply the UNSCENTED deodorant as he is very sensitive to smells right now.  

There are some similarities between a seizure and a migraine; I am also really sensitive to smells during a migraine.  I also get very groggy and tired after, it is called "post-ictal" for both.  So God had me in some sensitivity training.  

Ron is "about" at the point where he is ready to think about medication.  He will come to that point a lot faster if I don't nag him.  But he's getting there.  I think he finds the seizures embarrassing.  

For me it is just one more thing.  So far they have all happened at home which has been convenient.  I do think he's going to need some medication before he goes back to work.  Usually he has them in the morning, too.  

I also did some cleaning and sorted the clothes to do laundry.  I am about to go back to bed.  

No comments: