Wednesday, August 12, 2020

The rest of Wednesday

 I didn't get to bed until after 5 (long story) and woke up just a few hours later but still fairly charged.  Not manic, thank God.  

Ron agreed to go to the doctor and take medication for his seizures.  I set up the appointment and the transportation both ways, and got a face shield for him to wear.  That will be more comfortable for him and make it easier to do the exam.  

I did get a decent nap today as well but am paranoid I think every noise - I guess I could call it post traumatic - is him having another seizure.  He says he feels a little dizzy today but that is all and he is having a little trouble with words.  

I told him I have high hopes a lot of his senior moments and confusion may be small seizures and can be managed with medication.  He didn't want to hear that and shushed me, but I do remain fairly hopeful.  That would be great, and from what I have seen he does have small seizures in addition to the "grand" (mals) ones.  Sometimes his leg will jerk for a few seconds, etc.  

But we are getting him looked at tomorrow.  I am hopeful, I just hope it isn't too much of a hassle taking him.  

I plan to bring snacks.  For me at least, I eat after 11.  Ron may need to be fasting for blood work.  Hopefully the doctor can access the hospital brain scans which clearly show the brain damage.  

I don't think this will be "too hard" they already know the cause: head injury.  I just got "lucky" for 17 years, although, looking back, one time years ago I found Ron out of his wheelchair very disoriented.  He may have had a seizure.  Looking back, I can say that, but at the time I just thought he was drunk.  Maybe he was, only God knows.  

And I am done talking about that.  I did a load of laundry because Ron was spitting blood everywhere after his seizure.  I did manage to get the blood out of the towels; I used washing soda and Tide.  I did not put underwear in that load.  

A little back history, when Ron and I first got "together" I had terrible bladder troubles.  That continued for some years.  I finally read a book that said to use unscented laundry detergent without washing soda.  Of course none of them were labeled thus but I did figure out the plain uncolored, unscented detergents were friendly.  And I have already talked about the wet wipe.  

So the book said washing soda is really bad for underwear, the fabric is pressed into your personal area and is very irritated.  It did seem to work for me.  But sometimes I have bloodstained towels, or worse.  I need something to get all the soil out and the washing soda does a very good job for that, especially if I use the "soak" cycle, which I do.  

I have said it before, the soak cycle was a huge selling point for me with the washer, I had that in my last one as well.  So, I have the "heavy" loads which get the soda and the soak, and the regular loads which just get the Tide and no soak cycle.  That works well for me.  

And just a moment here to thank God my washer and dryer survived the leak.  

So I did the load and it's all done now.  There is a very faint stain on the towels but I use the cheap white towels for home care only.  I have nice towels if I have a guest, they can use the nice mauve towels.  The white ones are only for home care so they don't have to be perfect, just clean.  I have about eight of them and a large amount of white washcloths I use for home care as well.  

I had to wipe the blood off his face after the seizure when he was done spitting and I used a washcloth for that, then threw it in the load with the towels.  It was the old, bleeding in the mouth thing a little blood a lot of saliva, a big mess.  Kind of like when you have a tooth pulled, although he said the inside of his mouth felt OK today.  

I packed part of a bag for our trip to the doctor tomorrow.  I am trying to think of things we might need.  I need to get some cash to go as well.  The little snack place nearby is closed so I will have to bring snacks.  

I just hope we can walk (well me at least) out of there with a prescription for something effective.  I am really proud of Ron for facing this head on and addressing it before it becomes a bigger problem.  

No comments: