Monday, March 17, 2014

3 Encounters

I had 3 encounters today, but I can only remember 2 right now.  Well, I'll just share the ones I do recall. 

We got up and went to the warehouse.  We got bottled drinks.  We took them to work and got them into the fridge. 

Important: we were there during the other guy's window of occupation.  Ron and I decided he could just act casual, like we just saw him on Friday, "How's it going" no drama, and see how that progressed.  It seemed pretty safe.  If he barked at us we could just leave. 

However, our ride was over an hour late and we missed him.  We did see the other guy's employees, both of them very nice men.  [first encounter]

We went back to the warehouse.  It was snack time.  I got my snacks.  Ron kept asking if I wanted to eat first and I said no. 

I got my merchandise (I added Fruit Rollups to the lineup).  Ron's very amenable to my creativity as long as everything has a good food cost.  I was actually a very bad customer and opened the box.  If the rolls were longwise, I couldn't stock them in the machines.  If they were shortwise, I could.  They were shortwise.  I paid for the box I opened. 

After all that, I went and got some pizza and fixed Ron's hot dog (relish, onion, ketchup, and mustard). 

I'm glad I only have 3 machines.  I can barely keep them stocked.  It's insane.  I was busy for quite a while.  Ron sat down and read his book while I stocked. 

I ate my pizza and stared around absently.  The greeter was receipt-checking, 4 people lined up to go.  A child ran by, a toddler, clearly unattended.  She bolted out the exit door. 

"The greeter's always talking about her grandson" I thought.  "She'll go after him.  If she doesn't the nice older couple will... or the people behind them."  I waited a few seconds.  They just stood there shaking their heads as the BABY ran out into the parking lot. 

I jumped up (twanging my knee again, it's not happy, but the kind of injury I'm glad I got), and bolted after the baby.  She was about 2 and a half.  I ran up to her and she looked up at me trustingly.  I reached down and took a warm little hand as she looked up with big brown eyes. 

I used my "talking to the cats voice".  "Where's Mommy?"  The baby giggled.  "Where's MOM-me?  Where is she?  Let's find MOMMY!"  The baby nodded and I led her back into the store. 

The 5 people who didn't help stood around shaking their heads and talking about Bad Mothers as a frantic woman ran up to us.  The little girl squealed and reached up.  We found Mommy. 

The mother was profoundly grateful.  I just said "Happy to help, I found her in the parking lot."  As she left, later, the mother thanked me again.  Not necessary.  [encounter 2]

I just did what God wanted me to do.  I know the horror of a loved one hit by a car.  I wouldn't inflict that on anyone. 

Now, let me tell you about Bad Mothers.  When I was about that age, I lived in a house with a basement.  Like many homes on the East Coast, the basement was easily as large as the house.  We had the formal living room, kitchen, dining room, bathroom, and 3 bedrooms "up".  We had a large family room area, furnace, and laundry room "down". 

My mother must have been depressed.  Usually, she left me locked in my crib/room when she was depressed.  This time she let me out.  I followed her to the top of the stairs and cried as she departed to do laundry.  She'd left the door open so I decided to "try" the stairs.  I fell of course, down a whole flight of stairs, battered and bruised, hitting my head.  I lay there at the base of the stairs for quite a while.  I cried and cried.  No one came. 

That's a bad mother.  [encounter 3]  Yes, I've forgiven her, I had to.  But I remember how often she failed me due to her illness and addiction.  It bolsters my resolve to be better than that.  To challenge my illness - to fight it with medication, faith, and fortitude.  I resolve I will not surrender to Bad Thoughts and depression.  I will conquer them, they will not conquer me. 

Most importantly, I am the only one who will suffer as a result of my illness. 

The kid?  No big deal.  God chose to use me.  God set it all up.  I just got her. 

No comments: