Saturday, March 8, 2014

Delayed onset

I really do feel sick today.  Groggy, dizzy, low blood pressure. 

It reminds me of a time Ron wasn't feeling well, about 2 months after his accident. He was home.  He said "I think I have pleurisy".  I looked it up, it didn't seem serious. 

I nagged him into calling his cab driver friend (one of the few who'd come to our area).  He called, and Robert said "Bonanza is on. I'll come get you in an hour and take you to the hospital."

We waited an hour.  Then an hour and a half.  "Sorry" Robert told me "I got hung up and I really didn't want to drive tonight, but it's you so I'll go" (a little drama queen, Robert)

We got to the hospital, we paid and tipped Robert, and he left.  I took Ron in and signed him in. 

A minute later, they called him up to triage.  I don't know what happened exactly, one second they were checking his vitals, the next they are racing him off to a critical care room, shouting, and I'm chasing them.  (they were pushing on in his wheelchair)

God held off the worst manifestations of Ron's tamponade and pulmonary embolism, either of which, by all rights, SHOULD have killed him, until he was in skilled medical hands. 

So, I guess God is letting me experience all the awful of the lithium toxicity.  I feel obliged to mention I only ever take it as directed. 

Now that it's under treatment, I get to experience the symptoms as my poor kidneys flush all the extra metal salt out of my system.  UGH. 

Thank God I don't have the gastric symptoms.  [shudder] 

No comments: