Sunday, March 2, 2014

It's me

Every family has some good rituals. 

In mine, we watched Star Wars.  Back then, they only had episodes 4-6. 

Tonight I was rewatching #6, and it struck me: all the main characters have brown hair.  Luke, Leia, Han, and even Chewie all had brown hair.  Padme had brown hair.  Obi-wan had brown hair, until he went grey in Episode 4. 

People who went grey, in that universe, were OK with that.  People with brown hair wore it with pride. 

Now let's look at Texas.  I remember getting an office job in 2000.  Every woman in the office had blonde hair.  They used to ask me "If I ever thought" about going blonde. 

Nearly every brunette Texan, especially those working in offices, seems to go blonde.  I don't get that. 

I'm a winter, I'd look awful with blonde hair.  I don't wear yellow tops, why'd I dye my hair yellow? 

Instead, I went burgundy.  It was a much better color match for me and I think I looked good (back then, a lot of women with my coloring did the burgundy hair thing). 

I have nice brown hair.  I like it.  I'm very glad I have hair. 

It's nice, thick, wavy, and long.  Like I said, I like it. 

I do plan to do a henna treatment on my hair.  It always looks good.  The gray becomes bright red highlights (I use an acid like vinegar or lemons to help the color stick), the rest a nice medium red-hued brown. 

It's me, just redder.  I like that. 

No comments: