Monday, March 10, 2014

A lot about my hair

So, big news first: I got my lithium level back.  It is .5, which is good.  A little low even. 

Rather aggravating, that.  Moving on. 

My hair has been pretty dry since my henna treatment.  I decided to do some kind of moisturizing treatment.  I did a lot of research.  I went to the store and read labels. 

I decided I did not want to put mineral oil on my hair.  It depletes the body of vitamins.  I didn't want to put plysorobanobital on my hair.  Good as it might be, I want to *know* what I'm using. 

I'm also cheap, and have a bottle of grapeseed oil.  Not only that, I have some essential oils.  More research (benefits of the mania) and I concluded that grapeseed oil is very good for the hair. 

I put some grapeseed oil in a small glass bowl and added 2 drops of cedarwood (Texas of course), and one drop rose geranium oil.  I used about 1/3 cup but I still have leftovers.  3 T or a quarter cup would work better with one or two drops essential oil only. 

I decided to apply it to dry, unwashed hair (I read I could do that).  I rubbed it and combed it in, applying it with my bare hands.  That's the nice thing about using real ingredients; I didn't have to worry.  "It's on my hands!"  (my hands loved it!)

I applied it to the strands, combed, and massaged it into my scalp.  I had a couple of options at that point.  Shower cap, wait a few hours, wash it out.  Shower cap, overnight.  I went with the latter, but the shower cap was crinkly and disturbing.  I'd put an old towel over my pillow so I took off the cap halfway throught the night. 

Again, since this was all completely natural I didn't need to worry about getting it on my skin.  I sleep with my ponytail pulled up above my head, on the pillow, so it didn't get on the sheets.  The next morning, I got up, laughed at my reflection (my hair has never been *that* oily, ever), and got in the shower. 

I had a little pantene 2-in-1 shampoo + conditioner so I used that to wash.  I washed my hair twice, but found a greasy spot above one ear so I had to wash again.  It was softer, but it wasn't OMG so soft. 

I have been using the leftover oil as a "dressing" I guess, on my ends after showering.  It seems to help the ends.  I think I'll continue to do that. 

I also think my hair would have been softer had I only washed twice (my hair is pretty thick, it needed 2 washes at least). 

I will definitely do the ends.  Not so sure about the rest.  I can always add some coconut oil to the mix as well. 

I found it interesting; most of the good information was obtained from black hair pages.  They had extensive information on hot oil treatments and henna.  Not so much the "white girls" (although the long hair forum was useful). 

I won't be joining the long hair forum.  They want me to submit a photo of my hair.  Not a problem, but in the "how to" they mention "make sure the room is clean".  Oh boy, I don't need judgement in my life. 

I can lurk (look without posting or joining).  They do have useful information for women with longer hair (mine is waist length now). 

I might get a photo of my hair just for fun, for you guys.  I really love my hair at any length. 

Other people seem to love it more, when it's long.  That's easy enough, it grows fast.  So I keep it long.  I do plan to keep it trimmed to waist length so I don't have problems sitting on it and all. 

I like to sit in the front seat, for instance, in the minivan paratransit vehicles.  However, if someone gets in behind me they tend to grab the headrest (and my hair) as they get in, grunting and pulling my hair right out of my head as they lever themselves in the venicle!  OW!  So, if for some reason Ron ISN'T behind me, I pull my ponytail up over my shoulder so it hangs in front, not in back.  It only took a couple tries to learn that!  [wince] 

At any rate, I didn't do much yesterday.  I felt pretty groggy.  I do feel more alert today, but I have a headache (weather front I think). 

We worked today, so we get tomorrow off.  The machines were all behaving.  Good.  I will never take electricity for granted! 

That's it for now. 

No comments: