Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Junk Food Pallet

I got a little crisp last night, but the aloe gel helped a lot.

Last night, God put it on me to do up 10 (English) Bibles, and some Gospels of John. I like to think I'm obedient so I did them up, thinking, "Wednesday is going to be a busy day for the Bibles".

I slept pretty well, woke up tired as usual. We went to Burger King. Ron likes the rib promotion they are doing and found them delicious. I ate a rib, thought it was good. Foodtown would call them "Riblets".

I had one, massive backpack stuffed with Jesus. I handed out several at Burger King. All the drivers got a Bible. Other passengers got Bibles, and a lady at the Blood Center got some Spanish driver candy. I wore my Jesus Saves/ USA tshirt.

We had a good trip from Burger King to the Blood Center. I find it funny, I am beginning to associate one with the other. If I'm eating at Burger King, I must be getting ready for a needle! [snort] Really, I think Burger King and I immediately envision a needle in my arm.

Speaking of the needle, I did not get stuck because my iron sucked. Only 36. It is a lot harder than I would have guessed, to keep up my iron levels! I love sausage, horrible low iron - 2% of my daily value. Peanuts, same thing. Even an egg only has 4%. I guess I will be eating regular red meat for dinner every night; I'm not sure what kind of iron-rich breakfast I can do. I take a multi with iron, and iron tablets. Agh.

Ron and I determined that the next time he donates, it will be regular red blood, and I'll do components - ie machine. I am happy to do that and the techs agreed I am a much better candidate.

So, there we are ready to go at the Blood Bank 20 minutes after we got dropped off. The dispatcher was very nice and fixed our pickup. We went off to Starbucks.

Now we are at Starbucks and no pickup for 2 hours. They can't fix that one.

Hmmmm. Ron had $9, I had $2. Ron mentioned taking the bus. We always carry our disabled bus cards.

I told him I was sure I could get him home, at least to the entrance of the subdivision. I wasn't sure if he could walk the blocks to our home, but, worst case scenario I could certainly find him a safe place to sit while I went home and got the wheelchair.

We decided to do it. I take 3 buses on an average day out. Occasionally I take a fourth. The two we'd need to get home run frequently; I've often sat and watched 3-4 "18" buses go by as I waiiiiited on Metrolift. We went out to the 18 bus stop. It had seating. I find the bum-guard ones very sad - they have metal arches across the bench to prevent "bums" from sleeping on them.

We had a wait of about 15 minutes. I gave a Bible to a lady waiting with us. The bus came, we got on, no problem. We got off and walked to the other bus stop. The other bus was already pulling away from the stop. I knew we were going to miss the connecting bus, but I didn't want to run with Ron. He would have fallen or twisted an ankle, and he has a metal rod running from his ankle to right knee. In the bone.

So, I told the 18 driver "We are going to miss that and wait on the next one". We did just that. It got a little warm, but it wasn't too bad. I even had a couple of Diet Dr Peppers. The home bus came along.

We rode to the subdivision. Another guy got off with us, but went ahead. Good. I have noticed more "fishy" guys in the "thug" apparel getting off and cutting through the subdivision. I find that a little bothersome. I can see why a lot of Houstonians say "It's not a good neighborhood if it's on a bus line". You may get "imports".

But really, can he commit mayhem if he's a bus rider? [snort] Here, let me mug you and go wait at the bus stop. [laugh] There he is Officer! [snort] No, thanks.

Anyway, the kid went fast. Ron kept asking me if I "minded" if he got tired, had to stop and wait for me to get his wheelchair. I kept saying I didn't, then I finally teased him. "Oh, I mind a lot! I am going to make you PAY AND PAY for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, buddy! How dare you ask your wife for assistance?" He started laughing and pretending to beg my "forgiveness".

I mean really, I am terrified of any kind of bill or thing, because I am always losing them and getting nasty cutoff notices in the mail That's why I'd seriously consider an all bills paid setup if we didn't have the house. Once the water got cut off when Ron was in the hospital. UGH. I hate bill paying.

I am glad Ron takes care of it all; and I feel we take care of each other.

Ron did fine. He got a little strained at the end. I don't think he would have made it more than 2-3 additional blocks, but he did fine. Tomorrow, we get the milk delivery and I call in the junk food pallet delivery.

No comments: