Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Harry, the inflatable lobster

Yesterday, after my nap, I went out and did some yardwork. I cut the grass, trimmed the tree, mowed the tree trimmings and added them to the compost pile. Whew! By the time I finished, I was STARVING.

I had some sirloin tip steaks I had to cook anyway, so I threw one in the skillet and began cooking it. It finished, and I put it on a plate. As I walked across the room, the doorbell rang. It's after 8.

I live in a large city. A large city has a lot of crime, and it's often commented on the local news site "How could anyone be dumb enough to open their door to a stranger?" I've always resolved not to be that person.

The guy SAID he had a pizza, but I hadn't ordered one! I was very skeptical and made him read the address. I went and told Ron "Some jerk's at the door saying he has our pizza!"

Ron jumps up WAIT! HE ordered the pizza, to surprise me! I chased the guy down, wearing my ugly bathrobe, and he came back. Ron paid him and gave me "my" pizza. I ate the top off the entire thing, and my steak, and I was happy. I was hungry.

I got up this morning - slept well last night, and got up. I wasted a little time loafing around with a romance novel, but got down to my work. I had my God Time, and did up some candy and Bibles. I handed out every single one. If I really LISTEN, it always ends up with me giving it all away with no more opportunities.

Ron and I went to our favorite restaurant. We each got a good breakfast, and I handed out that candy they like so much. I figure, and God's verified, that I've saturated them with plenty of Bibles and stuff, so I don't worry so much about evangelizing. I just gave them a couple boxes of candy. Very popular.

I forgot my cell phone, AND my list. AGH. Ron gave me his cell phone. I waited outside for the ride, and when she pulled up I gave her a grin and a cheerful wave. I got Ron and brought him out. The driver scolded me about drinking a soda "In this heat!" and ordered me to drink 3 bottles of water today. [grin]

I gave her a Bible - I gave most of mine away on Metrolift today. Thank you for using me, Lord! She was delighted. Ron called me later and said she had nothing but nice things to say about me all the way home. I gave Ron a hug and headed off.

He went home, and I went to the Christian bookstore. I wanted some more Spanish tracts if I could get them (they didn't have 'em). I ended up getting 18 New Testaments - heavy! I got some soda, and even a couple bottles of water. I drank one. [shrug] I'm not a big water-drinker.

I headed off to Walmart and made my deposit. The tellers sure liked "The deposit you can eat!" [grin]. Like I said, I'm glad God can use me. I headed off again and had a long wait.

One of my regular bus drivers had told me he lost his route, to the #6 guy in the program. The driver's number reflects their seniority. #6 could bump any driver except 1-5. He wanted this route, and he got it. He also got a Bible! They're always so surprised, but he said thank you and meant it.

I went to the other Christian bookstore (noting a theme here). I found a lovely t-shirt that has JESUS SAVES and USA (from the end of Jesus and beginning of Saves) in red. It is awesome. Patriotic and Bible-thumpy. I love my "In God I trust".

In the VBS section, I found an awesome inflatable lobster. I like having inflatables at work. They store well, have a lot of volume when inflated, and add some real life to the vending machines. The inflatable Santa was very popular during Christmas.

I had a stuffed toy monkey hanging on the stockroom door; someone stole him. I can't imagine what kind of day they were having, to steal a stuffed toy off our door! May I never have a similar day, Lord.

Then they made me take down my poster at work, because it was on the wall. Agh. I had another poster on a stockroom door, I was allowed to trim it. UGH. I DID get "them" to agree that the doors are mine, and so are the tops of the vending machines. I had some cutout flowers I put on the machines - cardboard flowers that look like hibiscus. I want a tropical escape theme.

When I saw the inflatable lobster, I knew I had to get him. He is adorable and will look so cute on top of the soda machine! I checked it with Ron, he was fine. He was teasing me about it pinching him. I named the lobster Harry.

I was thrilled, I walked off with my t-shirt and inflatable lobster. Then I went to Favorite Dollar. They have a lot of tropical luau type things. I found a cool door poster that looks like palm trees. I found an inflatable beach ball - excellent, and some plastic leis I plan to hang on the stockroom door. They are 6 for $1 - I can afford to lose them if the thief comes back. [snort] What kind of life do they have to steal a toy from a blind man and his crazy wife? [snort]

Then I went to Starbucks. I had my usual. It wasn't my usual but they remember my drink. Ha! Not many women walking in and ordering steamed heavy whipping cream, and bragging about low cholesterol.

I made a run to a good grocery store and got Ron another bag of cut pineapple. I haven't told him, but pineapple is the best thing ever for inflammatory conditions. It is full of enzymes that reduce inflammation. He adores the fruit and needs to eat more fruit and veggies anyway. I am always happy to get him something he enjoys, and had a small cold bag and a few ice packs in with my stuff today.

I got Ron his stuff and remembered, happily, that I needed sandwich baggies. I got them. My home route is pretty frequent so I had a short wait.

It was hot today, but I was fine. I am really glad I'm off the Lexapro and all SSRI's - I'm far better able to tolerate the heat. I can lug a huge sack of Bibles and candy around, with half a dozen bottled drinks. I could not have done that last year!

God really used me today. Things like, rearranging things in my bag. I put my hand on a New Testament, someone walks up. I hand it to them and they take it happily. The guy standing behind me in line, a couple of places. Always happy to get it. The cashiers. :) Bus drivers.

I really AM "The Bible Lady".

2 comments:

Heidi said...

what a wonderful day you have and how funny the lobster..when I was six years old I had my tonsils out and my father gave me a stuffed lobster (fake stuffed not food stuffed although I adore lobster to eat too! )I still have it and I am 52 since then my husband has padded my lobster collection with a few choice pieces ...my lobster's name is Barney
you sound so happy today ..I am glad I stopped by!
take good care Heather and have a wonderful weekend

Ginny said...

How sweet of Ron to order a pizza to surprise you! The surprise was almost on him!! How smart not to open the door!!

I did yardwork yesterday too! Sounds like you did ALOT more than me. I cut the grass, but we have a ride a mower. I do trim with the push mower.

Sounds like you had a great day today! I love hearing that you had a good day. {{{HUGS}}}