Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Clown Car

I finished "Where to Look in the New Testament" last night. I was very excited to get it printed up and distributed in "my" New Testaments.

I figured the devil was mad at me this morning, not only did I throw out my neck drinking a Diet Dr Pepper, but I managed to step on something and have to fish it out of my poor bleeding foot. I got the tract printed and tucked away. I brought my tote bag with New Testaments in the quart bags, with the Scripture booklets, a few tracts, and candy. We'll call it Driver Candy. I had several items.

I brought my "Bible backpack" - it has an extendable handle and a nice set of wheels. The straps are horribly cheap, one literally popped off. I cut the bad one off so I have a one-strap rolling backpack. It's good for Bibles, at least. It was basically empty except for a few folded tote bags. I also brought a quart sized insulated jug with shoulder straps.

So, I had my stuff. Ron and I went to Walmart, with the wheelchair. We are taking it more and more. Ron can walk a little but it's very painful for him. Fortunately the neuropathy has not affected the nerves in his butt! Ron has amended that - his butt doesn't hurt, as long as he keeps his weight UP above 140. He actually had me create a huge, thick, 8 inch thick butt cushion with shoulder stap and cover. He sat on it.

We plan to use the wheelchair tomorrow, too.

So, we went to Walmart. I had LOTS of time to look around at bras. I found absolutely NOTHING in the sport bra. I remembered the (one band size bigger, one cup size smaller) trick and tried that. It worked. It was pretty funny trying to get the thing OFF, especially with my neck all knotted up.

As I was leaving the department (the manager basically laughed when I told her my size "We don't have THAT!"), I saw my size, in a $9 t-shirt bra. Cool. I have 3 other bras in that brand and size, so I felt comfortable hanging it on the back of Ron's wheelchair with the other bra. [laugh]

It fits fine, too. It's in my pending laundry basket.

After that, Ron and I did a little more shopping, and eventually he left. He rode home with a driver we both like.

I went to the bathroom again (I always need to pee, thanks to the lithium), and headed out to the bus stop. I had good rides and short waits at the bus stop, you can't do better than that.

I visited my favorite Dollar store, and picked up a few items. I had "Where to Look" copied - I formatted it for 2 to a page. I had her run off 100 copies, and then cut the pages in half. They look fantastic. She got the first one, tucked into a bag of Driver Candy. She was thrilled, setting the tone for "Where to Look" today.

I handed out over a dozen copies and everyone loved them. "I'm putting this into my Bible!" Awesome. I even ran out of Bibles and tucked one into a newly-purchased New Testament, giving it to a guy on the bus.

I went to one Christian bookstore, and I found a autobiography, on CD, for $1. I got it for Ron. Then lunch.

I handed out a couple of Bibles at the McDonalds. Everyone who got a Bible was delighted. That makes me happy; I am fortunate that God has given me a fun job. When He leads me to hand out a Bible, they WANT it.

Another short ride, and then the sporting goods store. I picked up 2 bermuda shorts and a microfiber wicking t-shirt. Very reasonable prices. I managed to stuff everything and staggered off to the bus stop.

Come to think of it, even the drivers were good today. Normally a Day Out involves several near misses with the cars - sometimes I feel like there's a bounty on turning me into roadkill. Not today.

It was very hot, and I took it as slowly as possible. I had brought an insulated quart jug, and drank my pink lemonade regularly, in addition to my endless consumption of Diet Dr Peppers.

I arrived at the other Christian bookstore, somewhat incoherent from the heat and my medication. They were very nice. It was funny as the clerk and I attempted to stuff as many "Invitation" New Testaments as possible, into my backpack. It reminded me of a clown car.

She beat my record: she got 85, my best was 72. I threw the remaining 15 into a tote bag. I went to Starbucks - whooo lugging my stuff in the heat! I was glad I had the rolling backpack. Pretty lighheaded. Got my drink and took my time.

I had noticed some "bums" at the bus stop and was feeling aggravated. Stupid bums, hogging up my bus bench! Apparently, it was literally too hot for them, because I had the stop to myself when I finished at Starbucks. A guy came up, rather hesitant.

He was Black, and wore a rather baggy black shirt. I immediately went on alert, until I realized: He was wearing a POLO (you will never see a thug in a polo top), he was wearing a UNIFORM, and he was wearing a name tag. He'd just gotten off work. I smiled at him and we got to talking, and by the time the bus came he had a Bible in hand. Thank you for using me, Lord! It's an honor and a privilege.

I got home OK and put everything up. Kind of a nasty headache (my fault, peanut butter), but I'll be fine. I even took out the trash and did a couple loads of laundry. Yay, me.

No comments: