Friday, May 7, 2010

God used me today

It's an awesome day when I give my LAST bag of candy to an Army recruit, obviously home from bootcamp, and the driver tells me "We were talking about you back at the yard yesterday". Apparently, a little curiousity about my relationship with Ron. [snicker] We don't exactly LOOK married, I guess.

Anyway, the driver's tone let me know it was all favorable, which made me smile.

I got up nice and early, did my Bible study, and off to Burger King. I ate my burgers. I have to admit, I have been eating peanuts and cheese for dinner most nights. It's nice and salty.

We went to the Blood Center. They asked if I'd donate platelets, and other than getting hooked to a machine and taking longer, it's no different than donating regular blood. In fact, your body replaces platelets every couple days, so it's actually easier for your body to bounce back. Red blood takes about a month to bounce back to 100%. I said, sure, happy to do it. Any blood type can get my platelets.

Curses! My iron level came in at 37. The cutoff is 38. Ron was able to go home pretty fast when he called and explained.

I exchanged my falloff shorts for ones that fit. I had to try them on first, to believe it, but yes, I am a 10 in that brand now. Awesome. I've noticed this year, it's a lot easier to deal with the heat. 1. I'm carrying 70 fewer pounds and 2. I'm not taking SSRI antidepressants. I have gotten really sick in the heat, taking those. The Wellbutrin does not affect my heat tolerance.

I did a lot of walking today, carrying my sack full of Bibles and Driver Candy, with no problem. I walked probably 3-4 miles. One driver drove up, honking. I waved at him as he was stuck at a light. He opened the door and I threw him a bag of Driver Candy. That was fun for both of us!

I handed out ALL the candy. One fun encounter: a Latino guy was cleaning windows. I walked up next to him and handed him the Spanish candy. They can immediately recognize the brands and flavors ("The good stuff!"). He was very happy!

I was also at a bus stop later. A Deaf, Latino guy was in the shelter. I offered him a bag of candy and he indicated "I'm too fat, and I have bad teeth, but thank you!" I took the booklets out and offered them to him, and he took them! Awesome.

I really felt like God USED me today, and that always makes me happy. I handed out New Testaments and Driver Candy, reserving just enough for my ride home. I was happy I had the last bag, to give to the Army guy.

I also stopped at the Christian bookstore and got 20 more New Testaments, and 20 more of the "Eternal Life" booklets in Spanish. It is very interesting, to me, how if I'm debating whether to give someone candy - that God will often have them comment on the tote bag, or something, in such a way, that I know God wants them to get candy and the booklets.

When I had given the Deaf guy the booklets, another guy in the bus shelter said "Oh, Eternal Life, huh?" I gave him a bag too.

Then the bus came!

Yesterday, I got another box of Scripture booklets. I thought to myself "I bet I see David again". He likes to hand out the booklets I give him. He doesn't want to order them himself. [shrug] That's fine.

Anyway, I was loading up my backpack with a good supply and thought to myself "And some for David" - because I just KNEW I would see him soon. Whenever I have booklets, we ride with him.

He was our second trip.

No comments: