Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I love my He-man

He-man was a big hit when I was a kid in the early 80's. My little brother and I used to fight over cartoons, he loved He-Man. He-man was a very macho fellow, a prince of the realm. He fought the bad guy, Skeletor. He would shout "I. HAVE. THE. POWER!" and raise his sword. Lightning would hit the sword and transform the meek and mild prince into He-man.

I suspect my sweet husband may have been channeling He-man the other day when he lifted a case of water. Either that or "I'm tired of taking so many pills". He's in a lot of (back) pain right now, groaning occasionally. But he has the power, and refuses to see a doctor. He has been able to get to the bathroom and all. He is not hurting all the time, just when he moves.

We went to work. The urgent care clinic near work has been closed, he elected to proceed with our day as planned. After work, we went to Starbucks. He went home and went to bed, as usual. If he's home, he's lying in bed.

I decided to have a Day Out. Of course I felt guilty but I recalled what the Nurses' Aide had told me: "One day a week, and DON'T YOU FEEL GUILTY. You NEED TO DO THIS - EVERY WEEK!"

So, I went to the import store and bought some fantastic new incense. I am in love with the lavender. It is so delightful. I'm burning a stick right now. I got my haircut. I went to the Christian bookstore and looked around a few other stores.

It was really hot, sunny, and muggy. I got sweaty but guess what? I didn't get sick. The Wellbutrin may cause hot flashes and sweating attacks (I don't think I sweat as much during my half marathon, as I did at work today), but I can tolerate the heat. Oh, I'd get so sick in the heat taking SSRI antidepressants (Prozac as a teen, then Lexapro as an adult). I considered buying a dozen colorful bandanas, but restrained myself.

I've got a good, well-managed mania. I missed a bus, and one of my bus drivers lost his route (he was outbid by another driver with more seniority). I roasted like a turnip out in the heat. But I had a blast.

I even went to a grocery store on my way home and picked up a few disaster kit foods. Some canned roast beef and canned chicken. I will get mighty sick of tuna if that's the only meat in my pantry! I had a ton of fun. I carried home my treasures on the bus and stored them properly.

So, if Ron wakes me up in the middle of the night, screaming - I can just pick up my hospital bag and go. My fun tank is full.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pssssst if he goes back to his usual dose of neurotin with the Drs blessing it might help his back pain ..this is not medical advise per se but I can tell you what you may know ..neuorontin is great for back injuries if the nerve is squished ..and along with a muscle pulling nerves qey squished so that is why it hurts so badly ..we have HUGE nerves back there! (I really do talk like this IRL!)

yup I love my He-man too!!!!

they drive us nuts but then how far is that drive my friend :)

my husband with out looking tore up my entire vegetable garden on the side of the house in a fit trying to get an inspection done he only needed to dig a square foot but managed to dig up a 4X6 raised bed along with his square foot needed I can laugh now!!! it is replanted and growning ..but that day...oyyyyyyyyyy yoi yoi!!!!!

hugs!