Tuesday, May 11, 2010

39

We went into work on our day off; did the machines, and got some brunch at Burger King. Off to the Blood Center, where I tested at a nice healthy 39 for my iron.

38 is the cutoff point. Last week I was 37.

They did the usual workup - I had a headache so my blood pressure was a little high for me, 122 over 80. Normally it's 100/70. I was doing platelets/plasma so they wanted to know my weight. They sat me down in one of the chaise lounge chairs. They're connected to a small flatscreen.

It came on when my butt hit the vinyl - pretty funny. I tuned it to Sci-fi. They did the stick and away we go.

It was different than the usual. For one, my procedure took about an hour. Whole blood only takes about 10 minutes for me.

Secondly, the machine that took my blood measured the pressure of the "draw". My draw pressure got into the yellow zone unless I squeezed the little ball "Like it done me wrong". It wanted to be low.

Everytime the machine went into draw mode, I'd squeeze vigorously, about 20 times. It would turn off and then return my blood. On the return, I just relaxed.

The technician was happy to retrieve a Diet Dr Pepper for me, out of my tote bag. She also said something interesting, if the Calicum level drops, your lips get tingly. When I get really goofy from my medication I get tingly around my lips. Maybe I should try a Calcium tablet?

I take a very nice amount of Calcium now, so I'm not worried. Towards the end myheadache got a little worse. I am convinced that is just my hormones, though. Right before my cycle I tend to get at least one headache.

So, we finished. They took out the needle and wrapped up my arm. Ron was asleep the whole time in a chair. I woke him up when Metrolift came and we went home.

We went home, I took a Phenergan and conked out with an ice bag on my head. I woke up, filed our monthly accounting report, and ate a small meal. Now I plan to go back to bed soon.

I don't feel as dizzy as I normally do. Yeah, a little lightheaded (they took out 450 ml of plasma in addition to the platelets) but not bad. :)

The Blood Center is really excited to have me come back and do it again in a month. Sure, why not?

1 comment:

Heidi said...

blood/plasma/platelets

the gift that keeps on giving!

thanks Heather for giving!

hope your headache resolves ..I do understand I get migraines

one thing ..they have slowed down with age for me so there is hope!