Friday, May 14, 2010

God Time

I love biographies: an ideal gift would be a box full of biography paperbacks (not celebrities). I really enjoy reading Christian biographies, but on my low-income budget most are unattainable unless they're on the clearance rack! Something ironic about that.

Silly me, spending all my discretionary on extra Bibles and candy.

I read some excellent ones: The Hiding Place, Tramp for the Lord, The Heavenly Man, The Biography of George Muller, God's Smuggler all being my off-the-top-of-my-head favorites. One thing I enjoyed about them was the frankness in discussing their reluctance to do God's will, and the satisfaction they found when they did.

I absolutely cannot abide biographies about a Christian where they discuss how holy and spiritual they were "Four hours on their knees in prayer every day!" I feel, if God has called you to pray, then you should.

Because I worry about swollen ego, I don't keep track of the Bibles I distribute. I don't even keep track of the prayer time. I know, through experience, it takes longer than Y but less than Z.

Anyway, I figured I might share my routine.

I have a notebook. I have pages in the notebook, with headings like Me: Ron: People on the Internet: Under the headings I have a list of requests, for me "Deliver me from willful and hidden faults, keep me humble and obedient, give me a willingness to be used, etc" Ron has the obvious with a deliverance from addictions and continued healing, if Your will thrown in.

I have a bookcase. It has devotionals - little messages for every day. Some are just written under a Bible verse. Some are all Bible - like my "Daily Bible". Some are collections of verses on a subject, for every day. The most I paid for anything was $10, most of them were found on the shelves of the thrift store for 50 cents.

I read the devotionals for the day. In the case of the Daily Bible, I do the Old Testament in the morning, and the New Testament/Psalm/Proverb section in the evening. Some have splits for morning and evening. So, I sit down, light a stick of incense (it makes ME happy), and read.

When I'm done with my readings, I start on the prayer list. For you guys, I have ongoing requests for good health for you, family, and friends, and the usual spirtual stuff you would expect from a wanna-be "Soul Winner". I pray you have a wonderful relationship with God, you and yours.

I have a world map and atlas in my notebook, and I will review it and see if any countries spring to mind. Recently, it's been Indonesia and Kazakstan. For a while, it was Tehran, Iran. I pray as led, and then add a general request for "worldwide" on top of that. Stuff like a good food supply and nutrition, safe employment, peaceful resolution for problems, more workers to share the gospel and freedom to do so, etc. I enjoy it and take it VERY seriously.

When I finish, I thank God for the oppportunity to pray. Ask for it all in Jesus' name.

Hopefully I have conveyed a good concept of my God time without coming off as a revolting "Holier than thou". GACK.

I'm just happy I can do it. :) I love you all and I love getting the chance to pray for you.

No comments: