Monday, May 3, 2010

Fur Fly

If you ever want to watch the fur fly on a Christian message board, ask about the "Best" Bible version. You will get a whole alphabet list of advice, and everyone's very passionate about "their" version.

I've always thought, the best version is the one you'll READ and understand.

When I met my husband, he had a real bias towards the King James Version. I got him some New King James stuff this year and he didn't object, but he truly loves the Good News Translation - the first Bible version I ever read. It's written at about a 5th grade level. I got a wonderful MP3 New Testament for $1. Sure, I just "happen" to find these amazing clearance deals! Ha!

I have to say, I don't like the high-IQ translations like the Scofield and the King James. They are written at a college level, and while I've always tested at college-level comprehension I just don't "get" it anymore on my medication.

As you well know, I happily accept a drop in IQ and brain processing ability, in exchange for reliable moods. I need something I can understand.

I have handed out hundreds of ESV New Testaments - they are at about an 8th grade level, very accurate translation, and wonderful helps in the book to help the reader find useful passages. However, the publisher doubled the price, to $1 each. I'm not that rich! They also had a rather unfortunate bile-green cover design. They have changed that.

I have two NIV Bibles in my personal stash. One is a Daily Bible - I really enjoy working my way through the Bible. Did you know that the angel of the Lord told Sampson's mother to refrain from fermented drink, like wine, during her pregnancy? Oh, telling! It's a good workhorse translation. I "get" it, most of the time.

If I "love" any translation, it is probably my New King James. Good poetry, good reading, and no thees and thous. I just love it for some reason. I have a $10 compact Bible as "my" Bible. It is well used, but I don't always comprehend what I'm reading. Love isn't always logical! I can also get a paperback, whole, Bible for $1 each. Both Christian bookstores will happily sell them by the case, and I've bought them! I've handed out at least a couple hundred of them.

For those glue-brain moments, I love my Good News Translation. It's written at an easier level, and seems "right on" with the translation accuracy. I have it in MP3, and a paperback New Testament. The publisher makes very nice New Testaments, with beautiful covers, at a very reasonable price. You just get the New Testament, no bells or whistles. When I have a little extra cash and some great tracts, I pick up a few. People love to get a "pretty" Bible. Probably my second favorite.

Since I deal with a lot of legal, immigrant, Metrolift drivers I like the New Life Version. It is a "Second" language Bible, with a vocabulary of only 850 words. It uses "A woman whose husband has died" instead of "widow" but it's very, very readable. I have handed out well over a dozen of them. I put some out at work and people also enjoy them. They have a great price, only $1 for a "whole" Bible. The paperback design is nice and straightforward.

I also hand out Spanish Bibles, Holman has a good Reina-Valera version. I can't forget them. I know for certain I have handed out at least 200 of them. I need to get some more, in fact.

[I can tell I'm a little manic right now... but it's at a good level. Sleep deprivation probably amplified my existing mania.]

My #1 handout Bible is the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I like the translation, and as they say in their mission statement, they really ARE committed to providing affordable Bibles, for evangelism. I know God loves them. I can handle a 50 cent New Testament, and I can afford to hand out several a day. Now, since I'm asking God to lead me to the hungry, and open people's hearts, I know some are getting reached. That's all I need to worry about - God's got it. I'm just the hand and the smile.

I don't think there's any ONE version for any one person. I think it is productive to read multiple versions, if possible. I find the Parallel Bibles more than a little distracting, though, but that could just be the medication and brain damage talking. A good place to start: http://www.biblegateway.com/ They have tons of free versions.

Remember, the best version is the one you'll read. You don't have to get the fancy one with the gold-leaf. God will be just as thrilled if you're digging into a battered, $5 paperback Bible.

No comments: