Friday, May 28, 2010

Both Sacks of Bibles

It's the kind of day where I can get really bitter and resentful, or laugh and count my blessings. I'm choosing the latter.

A lot of great things happened today! I got 90 New Testaments, on sale. They were beautifully packed and easy to carry. I also got a whole box of tracts - in perfect condition. Many times my boxes of tracts look as though they've been mauled. Bubba brought home a "gift" - a fledgling mockingbird, but it was still fine and healthy when I got home - it is fine outside now. I had EXCELLENT Metrolift trips, an abundance of wonderful diet caffinated beverages, and a delicious lunch date with my husband. I handed out lots of Driver Candy. I had at least 2 people really excited that I gave them a Bible!

I didn't sleep well last night, and even if I had I didn't get enough sleep. I got up, did most of my God Time (yes to prayer, didn't finish all the devotionals but did do the Bible Study). It was all about God sustaining us. [laugh]

I got to work at 4:15 - we had a wonderful ride. He was the first guy to get excited about the Bible. The other vendor called; the deliveryman was there. I went out on the dock with one of our new checks. I see one pallet. Now, this delivery is the REASON I got up at 2 AM. The truck is stuffed full of pallets, except for the one sitting on the dock. I take one look at it and realize it belongs to the other vendor. I look inside the truck. Nothing that's ours.

We have a problem. The driver says he doesn't have my pallet. I explain, not very patiently, that I am not paying for their delivery, the check he sees in my hand is for MY delivery. [laugh] Which isn't there. The fun part for me: I was there on time, but the food wasn't. The other vendor didn't show up for an hour, and her food was there.

Ron starts making phone calls. Everyone's playing dumb. [snort]. I do what I can. I can't do snacks, or "receiving", so let's help Ron make some money! I do food machines. I do soda machines. I am very productive considering I have horrible empty coils in my snack machines.

The company finally calls Ron: our order will arrive at 12. We had an 8:30 pickup to go out to breakfast. We take it. While out, we are near the Bible Bookstore, I have a sale coupon, and I have 75 New Testaments on hold. After eating, I dart out to the store.

Normally they pack my Bibles in a cardboard box. Today, they had them in two beautiful handle bags. Evenly balanced. Thank you Jesus. I give them my "Praise the Lord" candy bags - the scripture booklet is all about praising God, plus candy. I pay for my 90 New Testaments and hoof it back to the restaurant, where I've left Ron. It's over 90 degrees, hot, sunny, and humid. Boy, was I glad I wore my microfiber running t-shirt. The heat reflects back up off the parking lots I crossed.

I get back there and the driver can't find us, but eventually does and gets us back to work. Delivery at 12, right. I got the pallet jack and a check. Nothing.

At 1, he's "One stop away", so I go out on the dock. By this time I have seen people from all 3 shifts. I wait out on the hot, noisy, nowhere to sit with my throbbing feet dock. Ron and I realize we will not make the 1:30 pickup, so I ask him to "Put it on hold" (we call and then they put us in request for a ride), but he thought I told him to wait another hour.

He finally shows at 2:10. I was so happy to see him, I pretended to beg for the delivery and began loudly praising Jesus. I checked in the order, thinking I have plenty of time.

The woman who doesn't drive due to brain damage, has to bring the pallet through the building and park it in my stockroom off to one side, in a way that I can get the forks out from underneath it and give it back to the other vendor, who was very insistent I return it. It is supposed to be shared property, but tell them that. [shrug]

Ron comes in when I'm trying to get the pallet through the door (hard!) and tells me the ride is outside, waiting. Leaving in a few minutes if we're not there. No PRESSURE! Some fast talk to Jesus, a couple more attempts, and Praise God it's done!

Ron made it a wheelchair trip to go home. He's in the chair holding both sacks of Bibles. [laugh] I roll him out there. The driver says not enough room for two "ambulatories" someone has to ride in the chair. I am not in the mood to be squeezed up against some stranger so I offer.

Ron thinks I'm being "nice" - I'm not. Purely selfish reasons. I want space and room to stretch out my legs. They roll me, in the chair, in the back and the tie-down begins. Let me tell you, the cab could ROLL over and I would be fine, after that setup.

We got a straight trip home, PRAISE GOD. I got home and found a live mockingbird in the house, let it out. I also got my box of tracts to go with my New Testaments. I have dinner already cooked in the fridge. [big sigh]

I am GLAD today is over. I am such a vending geek I made Ron make a trip for tomorrow so I can put all my new junk food into the snack machines, then Ron wants to go out to lunch. But first, a trip to Sam's Club to get more Driver Candy.

WHEW.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making my morning a little bit better with this great article!!