Monday, May 10, 2010

"Let us make it home OK".

Today was exciting. If I were to "tantrum" about anything I would shriek "I want boring!"

I got a decent amount of sleep. I didn't get enough, so I was pretty tired. Then I drank a lot of caffeine this morning so I was pretty manic and VERY talkative. I could shut up, though.

I was doing my prayer list (you are on it!) and trying to remind myself that I needed to cook some sausage for breakfast. Ron was in the kitchen. God made me realize Ron is in the kitchen. Why not ask him for help?

So I did. He took out the bag of frozen sausage links and held them upside down. He opened it and took a few out. He wrapped them in a napkin and tried to set the timer - several times. Something kept me in my seat as he finally mastered the proper button.

Later on, while hanging up the clothes (he would rather I run the dryer in the very early AM, than the middle of the day, in summer. Logical.), I just handed him a pair of his slacks. He was happy to "help" both times. Maybe I need to ask him help me more, instead of trying to be a superhero. I'll need to pray on this. He is very good about putting dirty clothes in the hamper, in the laundry room.

Our first ride was a really nice lady, delighted with the Bible/candy. We got to work and did everything. OOOPS! I just used the last business check on the last delivery. More drama than we need. Things were a little tense but Ron was amazingly good-natured. Whew.

I got my deliveries and stocked them. I did not need to do snack machines so I put up a pallet of soda, helped Ron stock, and got deliveries. We debated what to do with a troublesome food machine door. Finally, we decided to put up a note: "If I stick, WIGGLE ME!"

Ron has forgotten to close vending machines on different occasions, so the other vendor (Cat Legs) has offered to check them on the days he's there, after us. If something is open, he'll shut it. I found that to be a very kind and generous offer.

I saw "Hot Legs" - the other blind vendor. He sure likes me a lot better since I got medicated, we chat a lot as I work. I occasionally chat to married guys - I tend to trust men more than women - but I always keep it at a level where I could repeat everything in front of the wife, or if the wife walked in during the middle (she does, often), I don't have to stop.

Finally, all done. I went outside and within a few minutes "Pierre" drove up. He is from Africa, and speaks fluent French in addition to English, and whatever native dialects. He was having a tough day and grinned when he saw us. He is a very kind and sweet guy when you get to know him. We rode around for ages.

Finally, we got to Sam's Club. Ron needed more Lipton, and I needed a Nestle candy bar variety pack. For the machines! We got them and Ron ate a sausage. I was queasy. I still am.

The driver who picked us up had what appeared to be a toothpick stuck through her left eyebrow. I'm not kidding. She had a really UGLY attitude that did not improve.

I am naturally inclined to like my drivers. They are driving me around. They don't have an easy job. They HELP us. I appreciate that and always let them know.

She had that "Hate Rap" going - something about New York and a woman getting "ridden like a bus route". I found it really offensive and hateful; but I still wanted to like her.

I excuse her attitude by saying "She has a Haitian flag hanging from her rearview mirror". Maybe she lost her mother in the quake and is still grieving - Mother's day and all. I didn't say that out loud, but later on I did tell Ron.

A very strong impression; NOT to give a Bible or anything. I wanted to sneak a couple of tracts into the back pocket - you can put magazines or whatever (tracts!) into these pockets on the back of the front seats. No. I didn't.

I then experienced one of the most horrifying rides of my life: no obedience of traffic lights. No obedience of stop signs. Cutting across 3 lanes of traffic, on the freeway, without signaling. Speeds, on the beltway, that made a seasoned rider like ME cringe. No turn signals! Taking very sharp turns and all.

I was hanging onto my seat, saying "God, if it's my time make it quick, but if it's Your will please let us make it home OK." We get to the house.

I tell the driver, "I will get the drinks, because if you pick them up with one hand the handle will rip." She goes around back and picks one up. with one hand, and rips the handle. THANK YOU.

We did not offer her a soda or a bottle of water. We fled inside with the merchandise, thanking God we made it home alive. Ron referred to her attitude as "A fart" and that's before I told him about the reckless driving.

I am really worried about the old guy in the front seat, and the other passengers she will carry. I wanted to call and ask Metrolift to send a supervisor to shadow her in a personal vehicle (they do this, often). I was certain that one or two reckless incidents and they would cite her and end her route.

She's not safe to be on the road.

No comments: