Friday, May 14, 2010

You're not doing me a favor!

Today I went to my Walmart, again. Today, again, they said they didn't have my medication available, even though (like last time) I had my husband call in the prescription personally and verify it was available. Last time, it was over a WEEK before they were able to supply me with lithium - a mood stabilizer for bipolar disorder.

What's the big deal? I need mood stabilizers, anti-depressants, and anti-psychotics. They are all generics. They are not narcotic, addictive, or "stimulating" in any way; unless getting nauseous fires your engine.

My doctor, like MANY, does it in a 3 month supply to save me money. I see people getting huge bottles of medication all the time. They never get an attitude with my husband when he gets his Neurontin.

So why is it such a BFD to get me a 90 count antipsychotic and a 180 count lithium? The lithium is cheap and generic. So is the antipsychotic.

They act like I'm asking the impossible when I show up for my refill - even AFTER I called and ensured they had it. I had to wait in one line, then the trainee says "Oh, there's a problem!" and sends me to wait in another line. I wait in that line and they say we never called - even though I know she talked to him.

Then it's back into line, later on, because they still say they can fill it THAT DAY. "Don't worry, we'll fix you up." I get back to the head of the line, again (this is a good time to mention that I rely on public transit, and I have to be ready when ordered or I will lose my ride home), just to deal with an attitudinal pharmacist "You need to give us more notice! Are you OUT?" I was tempted to tell her yes, and watch the scramble. Legally, they cannot send me out of there without my medication if I'm out.

I listen to the same old tired line about they can give me a few tablets, but not my whole prescription. They also overcharge for these few tablets. I said no, I want all of it, at once. I told them I would be back Monday - that gives them 3 whole days to find me my medication.

But this is it. I have HAD it with their attitudes. You're not doing me a favor by getting me my medication; you're doing your JOB. Start doing it!

After I get my refill, I am switching to another pharmacy. I cannot and will not use a pharmacy that continues to play availability games with my mood stabilizer and antipsychotic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did they tell you there was a shortage of lithium? I know it is mainly the 300mg tablets but there is for sure a nation wide shortage

There has been since October 2009

They should at least tell you that.

If you google lithium shortage it will take you to a few things on it

Good Luck Heather!
I am not sure how they can have a shortage in a basic element!

Heather Knits said...

No, not a peep! That explains a lot, actually, regarding the lithium. I know they throw the Risperdal at all kinds of things now, so I can expect that... I just did not like the ATTITUDE! I will call and VERIFY Monday, make Ron talk to the pharmacist, before we make a trip.

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
Wow, I would totally go to a new pharmacy. Regardless of the nation-wide shortage, the attitude is totally wrong. Not acceptable. This is life-saving medication..would they make someone on heart medication wait?
I take Topamax, Seroquel, and Celexa. These, like yours, have to be taken every day at specific times (I'm also Bipolar). I've got an excellent pharmacy, thankfully. I go to Rexall..not sure if they have those in the States, but it's worth researching a pharmacy that will treat you right.
It's too bad, I've read your entries and they used to be so nice to you! Sorry to hear it, hon, but sometimes a change is good!
Wishing you all the best from one bipolar to another!
Jill

Heather Knits said...

We're going to verify they have mine before Ron gets his prescription filled.

You are absolutely right, Jill.