Saturday, May 22, 2010

"Left the Road"

We had another fatal car accident in Houston. The car "left the road", someone died. That happens fairly regularly. Cars leave the road, people die.

It would be easy, at times, to hate God for allowing me to be born crippled. And then sticking me with mental illness on top of brain damage? Horrible, you'd think.

I have never been in a serious car accident, ever. I've been in 3 fender-benders only. Two of them on Metrolift. The worst problem I ever had after an accident was an urgent need for a bathroom, as we waited on the "supervisor" to come out and investigate. After the last accident, Ron was the one who needed the bathroom, and we were in a strange subdivision with the other driver trying to get me to "fix" her cellphone (turned off for non-payment). Odd, but not dangerous.

Every driver I've known has a car wreck story, where they thought they were about to die. Some were badly injured. Some of them admit "It was my fault". They were driving too fast, or distracted. They didn't get new tires and had a blowout.

Because we can't drive, my husband and I get to meet fascinating professional drivers. We had a guy who immigrated from Nigeria, or some other West African country, today. They never want to talk about "Back home". We had a Latino driver who's a die-hard Santana fan. We had a "real" cab - which meant a very stylish ride in a Chrysler 300. Ooooh. I felt spoiled!

I teased another guy - it was his first time picking us up - he was very apologetic that it wasn't a straight trip. "Give me my candy back!" I demanded with a grin. "How dare you abuse me this way?!" [snort]

I like that my medication allows me to have a healthy sense of humor. The drivers are not always appreciated. I know it just about fried my brain, to work a 12-hour day. They do it several times a week.

God can use our dependence on public transportation to reach a lot of drivers and fellow passengers. I often hear that a Bible I gave a driver ended up in someone else's hands. Good! I am happy to do it. I can only do it by having my "baggage", and a husband who can barely get himself to the bathroom.

We've never "left the road" and God willing, we won't, because we're both "crippled".

No comments: