Saturday, February 5, 2022

Saturday

 It was a pretty good day, got 8 hours of sleep, still tired but at least my battery was 100%.  Took a cab to work as it was still pretty cold out.  And not really keen on riding the bus in the dark if I could avoid it.  So, did that, got to work.  

Did my job, my boss had the day off but came in anyway "to shop" (riiight!) and instructed some of us in various tasks.  I did my assigned work.  A coworker helped me.  She is an immigrant and a very nice girl.  

A man walked up to me, to ask a question, got a look at me, did a double take and looked at my name badge, yeah, it's her.  "Heather!  Remember me?"  It is always a Postal worker.  ALWAYS.  So I said "Post Office, right?"  He nodded.  "How's Ron?"  "He's dead"  My coworker jumped.  "What?  How?"  (also a very common response) I told him, said I was OK because I "Knew where he was, he was saved you know" etc.  "The last year was very hard on him".  He left.  

I guess I will never be done with Postal workers and telling them Ron's dead.  It used to really upset me and now I find it funny.  That is the last response they expect.  And I believe in being honest.  I don't dress it up.  He IS dead.  We'll all die, it's just the how.  

So my coworker was asking me some questions including did we have kids.  No, I said (I tell this to everyone who asks) his blindness was inherited and he didn't want to do that to a child.  Between us, we had seriously considered adopting a blind child before the accident.  She just gaped at me.  Well I think she did, we were both wearing masks.  In her culture a woman has kids, period.  A childless woman is to be pitied.  

And it is sad I don't have a little Ron around to console me but that wouldn't have been fair to a child, if I'd had one before the accident.  Let's take my probable miscarriages, I had 3.  First one was 1994.  That child would have been 9 years old at the time of the accident.  The second was 2000.  That child would have been 3.  Can you imagine me doing intensive 24/7 home care with two children?  The poor older child would have had to grow up real quick.  The last one was 2012.  All the children would have witnessed Ron in agonizing pain and debility for 20 years, suffering, and helpless to do anything to alleviate his pain.  I remind myself we made the right call, and I think that's why I did have miscarriages vs. a successful pregnancy.  And if I'm right those children are waiting for me in heaven.  We will see.  The Bible says the barren woman gets a houseful of children in Heaven so I hang onto that.  Not that I am pining for kids, but I do get a pang sometimes when I pass the infants department.  

So I did my work.  I don't know if it is just my job but they don't like me idle so the time went pretty quick.  I clocked out and made 2 calls: 1.  I would try to go to the bathroom.  I did that.  2.  I would buy a 20 ounce cold soda to drink as I was very thirsty.  I did that.  And I just missed the first bus.  Fiddlesticks!  I did have an empty bus stop so I didn't get hassled by the guys begging at the corner.  If I were homeless I would make a point of going out to beg in nasty weather as people would feel sorrier.  But that's my take.  I will say when I have done Bible Handouts in cold weather people are less likely to open a window.  

The ride home was fine.  The bus driver was talking to a passenger about the job; said he made 60K his first year.  Well.  Too bad I can't drive!  He said the job wasn't bad but some of the schedules were a little whack.  But when he had a split day he liked to go home and grab a nap.  He also had an apartment near the bus "yard".  We got to the transit center and I had about 10 minutes on the next bus, not bad.  I got the "good" seat I like and he let me off at my stop.  I had a good walk home.  I talked to my aunt on the way.  

She is doing well getting ready to list some property in town, that is always a process.  She has a friend going to act as an agent so that is nice to help him out.  

I took a nap when I got home, I had Cleo and Biscuit in the bed.  Cleo is a bed hog which is really funny considering how much time she spent UNDER the bed when I first got her in the house.  I have a soft spot for her, I have issues with anxiety so I can understand her constant fear level.  I took a sock out of the drawer one day and she ran and hid.  Why?  I couldn't tell you.  The sock was scary.  

What's scary is the sock after I have worn it!  

So I got a nice hour nap.  My stomach is a little unsettled, I am not hungry, and I need to eat so I can take my medication.  I think I will have some chicken strips.  

They are cooking in the microwave.  

That's it for now.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How would it be possible for you to have had 3 miscarriages when ron had a vasectomy long before he met you? Unless he was lying about having one and the medications you take caused all of your miscarriages. Not only were birth defects an issue with you and him having children but his alcoholism and daily barrage of verbal abuse you endured daily from him. Not a good mix for children either.

Heather Knits said...

Oh I believe he had one, and he was my only partner, but they do fail. It would have been an untenable situation for a child, I would have had to give it up for adoption.

The Depakote in particular is very bad for a male fetus, you can look it up.