Thursday, March 1, 2018

"If you don't ask"

Ron kept me up again last night; I let him know I Wasn't Happy about it.  When I got up this morning Ron presented me with two broken halves of his LG 450 cell phone.  He finally broke it. 

Considering how many times I saw him literally throw the phone on the floor during a blackout, run over it with his wheelchair, etc., I'm amazed it lasted this long (years).  We had a spare.  Ron asked me to "fix" it.  I told him I had no idea what to do.  Plus, my hands tend to be pretty bad. 

Example: we now have to put a lot of dimes into the coin mechs for the canned soda vendors.  It takes me forever to get them into the slots.  My hands are just "dumb" on my medication. 

Plus I didn't want to fry the only good phone.  It's funny, too, because just last night I told him to back up his phone.  I am a geek: I have an address book - a paper one, and it has all my numbers in it.  I can't imagine how awful it would be if something horrible happened and I couldn't call my family, because I didn't memorize the numbers.  I have the address book in with my important papers. 

So, we went to the warehouse.  I bought 3 boxes of candy bars and called it a day.  We went to work.  I stocked the 3 boxed chocolate bars; the way I see it, running out of chocolate is a minor emergency.  People, women especially, want their chocolate.  I stocked my stuff, Ron stocked his.  I helped him. 

Somewhere in there, I talked to Chuck, he agreed to take us to the cell phone store and get Ron's phone going. 

We got it all done and left.  We came home. 

We had a little time to get ready so we waited for Chuck, who came early.  Ron took his sweet time coming out.  I consoled myself with the thought that Chuck knows I always come out on time.  He used to drive me around when Ron had his back surgery. 

First we went to the mall, but they don't have the cell phone kiosks anymore.  I found that out with my carrier a couple years ago: I had to go get the cell phone "done" and I went to the mall, only to find out my carrier had left.  I found another brick and mortar store, but it was frustrating. 

Same thing today: no cell phone kiosk.  They had a cell phone repair kiosk, I asked him if he could fix it (Dad always says if you don't ask the answer's always no).  He shook his head.  Oh, well. 

I sat down at a table and found a "real" store on my cell phone, but on the way there we found another, bigger, store for the carrier.  So we just went with that.  I unloaded the wheelchair, put Ron in it, pushed him up the ramp, through the door, etc. 

First thing we found out they don't sell the phone anymore.  So Ron would have been screwed, BUT, he had a backup he wisely purchased.  I can use pretty much any phone: Ron cannot.  So it's important for Ron to have a backup.  We handed the phone pieces, and the new phone in box, over to the clerk. 

He transferred the brains to the new phone.  We got it going and made a call, it worked.  Good.  We went home.  Ron spent the next couple hours customizing the phone (he puts foam pads on certain numbers to make it easier to dial), and inputting phone numbers from his phone book (he has a computer phone book). 

I laid down for a nap but I didn't sleep very well with the phone jabbering, plus I was working on a headache.  It got bad enough after a couple hours I got up and took some Excedrin.  Now I'm very alert but tired, at the same time.  Biscuit laid down with me, he's such a good boy. 

Biscuit is terrified of strangers, if you came in the house, he would hide under the bed, but with just us he is the (aww, he's by my foot) sweetest boy.  Torbie is my flirt, she likes to approach strange men for petting, except the plumber who admitted he had a couple of pit bulls.  She didn't like him. 

But she loves my uncle, who thinks cats are OK.  He will pet her, and she loves it.  Baby Girl won't hide, but she won't approach, either.  She will sit back and watch, very alert. 

Ron's happy now, he's got his phone pretty much back to what he wanted.  We still have another spare so he is OK for a while.  Hopefully this one will last as long as the old one. 

It was interesting to see, at the mall, how many stores had cell phone cases.  I have a generic hot pink silicone sleeve for mine.  It works for mine, it has saved my phone from cracking several times.  I have dropped my phone, a lot, and it keeps going.  It's a carrier brand, you wouldn't know it unless you had my carrier, but it's a very good phone and does the job.  It's still a little complicated for me, now and then, but I like it. 

It lets me blog.  It has a food tracker app.  I have a good camera and can send and receive picture messages.  I can text.  The phone has good quality.  So I'm happy.  It wasn't expensive, either, only about $40. 

I will keep using this brand because it works for me.  It isn't my first phone by them.  I broke the first one unplugging it from my computer, fried the battery, instead of going to the hardware settings and manually turning it off.  But, up to that point, it worked great, took abuse, did the job.  So I will stay loyal. 

I did have some billing issues with my company, when I put in the new card number they took a while to process it, and in the meantime sent me a nasty text saying my payment was due!  But other than that they've been fine.  I have coverage where I want it and that's all I really care about. 

I think I'll go do my God time, I didn't do it this morning (too busy helping Ron with the cell phone), and I like to stay fueled up. 

Have a good one! 

No comments: