Friday, March 16, 2018

I like to see myself as the person who fixes the machine

Halfway through my morning, I thought "It's going to be a long blog tonight". 

I overslept, in part because I had a fat, purring, Biscuit sleeping on my chest.  I laid under him well past my alarm and had to skip my shower. 

Whenever I skip washing my hair, I always end up meeting the important people.  And it happened today. 

So.  I got to work with Ron and the bottled vendor "arm" was frozen in an odd position.  Great, broken.  Good thing the repairman was coming out anyway.  Ron was very upset and kept hitting it.  Not smart, I told him. 

I stocked what I could for snacks.  Ron's boss showed up to conduct a review on the other vendor (we get these, periodically, it's part of our contract) and then the repairman contacted us.  He had arrived.  I got him and brought him back to work.  He showed me how to reset the arm so we won't have to call him for the next "repair".  He fixed something else that was wrong with the vendor, and then he moved onto the snack machine. .

I had a bouquet of fake flowers stuffed into a coil, to make it pretty.  He took one look at it and said "There's your problem, they are blocking the electronic eye".  He tested it without the flowers and it worked perfectly.  All the mean things I said about that poor machine!  I felt a little bad I "broke" it.  I like to see myself as the person who fixes the machine. 

Then he went to help the other vendor for a while. 

The boss came back and said, if we want, he can try to get our coffee machine subcontracted to the other guy.  That would be ideal!  I was thrilled.  Ron was thrilled.  I think the other vendor said yes because he was talking to Ron about changing the lock. 

Awesome!  That machine has been one headache after another.  They can have the money.  We would rather have the peace of mind that comes with "No coffee machine!" 

That was an answer to prayer.  The boss left. 

Our repairman came back and fixed the coffee machine.  So it's working for now until it gets switched over.  Good. 

After all that, we were done.  We went home and I tried to take a nap.  I couldn't sleep.  But Torbie lay down with me so it wasn't a waste.  She doesn't lie against me, but nearby. 

I got up and got ready to go out to dinner.  Ron wanted Indian food.  We went there and had the restaurant to ourselves (they only opened several months ago, and it was a slow period).  I had the Tikka Masala and an insane amount of pan bread (two portions), and Ron had Tikka Boti with garlic pan bread. 

And I'm going to check my blood sugar, it's been 2 hours since I ate.  138.  Just in the OK range.  But I ate a lot of bread.  It's not in the bad zone, that's what's important, but from now on I should probably only eat one bread. 

I made my list for Walmart tomorrow.  I explained to Ron it was very important for me to go to Walmart and buy Biscuit some chicken flavor cat food, because he liked the people chicken so much.  Ron understood and made a trip to go there, and arranged with a cab to take us home. 

I will be getting more glucose test strips (I think it is important to track my sugars and stay out of the diabetic ranges), the cat food, make my deposit for my health insurance, etc.  I will be busy at Walmart! 

First, we have to go to the warehouse and get our supplies, then go to work and stock, put them away.  I will have to check the coffee machine.  Then we go home, hopefully take a nap, and then go to Walmart later. 

I say "hopefully" take a nap because my calendar says #6 has a party on March 18.  Well, they always round it to the nearest Saturday.  So that means they will/might have it tomorrow night.  They had one a few weeks ago, it was just the older boy and a few friends, and the Dad.  The mother took all the small kids off somewhere.  It was actually fairly quiet and not so bad. 

The normal parties have about 20 children under the age of 10 running around, shrieking, and kicking balls into the fence.  They talk very loudly, scream, and generally make a horrendous racket.  Sometimes the father also turns on the music pretty loud (probably to drown out the kids) so I have that, too.  And they go late. 

When I was a kid a party went from noon to 3 PM.  These days, at least with #6, they go from 7 PM to 11 or even 12.  For holiday parties, they go until 3 AM. 

I normally go to bed around 7 or 8 so you can imagine how I feel.  Or maybe you're a parent/grandparent and love screaming kids, and think I'm some sort of aberrant monster.  It doesn't matter: they might have a party. 

Sometimes they don't have a party on the date and I don't see the car in the driveway, maybe they go somewhere else.  I can hope they'll do that. 

We'll see.  I plan to have fun at Walmart after work.  It will be a lot of fun to give Biscuit his chicken nums and see if he likes them as much as I hope he will.  He's such a good boy, and so loving.  I want to spoil him as much as I can. 

(He's lying by my foot as I type)

That's it for now.  I'll be praying for you. 

No comments: