Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Now, about the Handout

Just a quick update. After my last handout, I got a migraine, but it wasn't bad as they go.
Today I came prepared. I had several Spanish NT, a handful of Spanish scripture booklets, and a case of NKJV Bibles.
I had a Spanish cab driver, so he got the first one. I gave him a good tip, some candy, and a New Testament.  I noticed he stayed for a while after I left, watching me I guess, for about 20 minutes.  
It seemed like every other person interested on today's handout, wanted Spanish. I also saw a lot of Spanish folk I could have attracted if I hadn't run out of Bibles!
I am seriously considering doing an all-Spanish Handout at this location. It is very busy and a lot of Latinos driving through.
I saw the police again, this officer also wanted a Bible. Happy to distribute, and I told him I'd be praying (especially since he has a dangerous job, but I didn't tell him that). I had a lot of older black couples in cars, an older black lady riding with a friend, everyone wanted Bibles. The lady riding with her friend wanted one for her husband (the friend wanted one), and some for the grandkids, who "Need to get back into church".
For a change, I had a guy in the third lane (away from me) wanted a Bible for his work truck. While running over to him, I dropped my cellphone in the street, but it was fine. Then I had to wait for the light to change so I could get back to "my" median.
At one point I had a lady wanted Bibles, I gave her 2, as requested. The lady in the middle lane started agitating for a Bible (just one, she said), so I gave her one, too. I approached another car. They were grinning at me. Turns out they are believers (they showed me a Bible) and they were just happy to see what I was doing.
I had a couple of people give me cheerful waves or little salutes, but not want a Bible. One guy indicated with his hands "I like what you're doing but I don't need another Bible". Don't ask me how I understood, I just did.
I had some sour faces. I prayed for them of course. Many people were interested in their devices and didn't even know I was there. I could have stripped down and done the Handout naked, and they wouldn't have noticed! God is working on them.
One guy wanted a Bible. I gave him English, he asked if I had Spanish, right as the light changed. I told him to come back around for Spanish. He did. I set him up.
A grandmother with some kids in the car took the last of the Spanish (everything), booklets and New Testaments. She told me she would come back and give me money, but I told her "no dinero". She must have believed me, I didn't see her again!
I finished up in about an hour and a half. Then I took myself out to lunch!
Please pray for the recipients!
Then I called Ron, but went to voicemail.  I figured he was either drinking or drunk, and probably asleep.  I was going to have him hop in a cab, meet me, and go to lunch, but that was out.  I saw a Dairy Queen within walking distance.  Why not, I figured.  
I bought some drinks at the drugstore (diet Dr Pepper this time, I suspect the Sprite Zero is a migraine trigger), and walked over.  The clerk was deaf.  I thought that was cool.  She made sure I got the burger I wanted, with a shake.  She brought me my food and I ate.  
It was pretty good.  Next time I will buy something salty to eat later (at the drugstore).  I took half the shake with me (what was left) and walked to the bus stop.  I passed Kebob Korner.  I would have bought something for Ron, if he had answered his phone, but I didn't want to waste my time and money, bringing it,and then hear "I don't want this".  I made it to the bus stop.  
Two young black guys were talking about money.  One said he had really impressed the hell out of some mutual friends by having a bankroll of 56, one dollar, bills.  They kept talking about money.  I wanted to tell them money didn't matter, would they like a Bible?  But, one, I was out of Bibles, two, it's rude to eavesdrop, and three, it's rude to interrupt.  Now if he had been confiding a terrible hard time I would have done it (if I had a Bible) but it didn't seem appropriate.  
I was mad at myself, I had wanted to give each driver a bag of candy with a scripture booklet.  But I had my Bible bag tied up and sealed in the empty case of Bibles, which was bungeed to my cart.  It would have been impossible to get the candy out without disassembling the whole works.  I apologized to God and said I would do better next time.  
I got on the bus.  One young man had a huge case with a welding helmet sitting on top of it.  He was black; I thought it was awesome he had a lucrative career at such a young age.  If more young people got into the trades the economy would flourish.  
His crate made it hard for me to get my cart, it scraped against a lady's legs.  She had lymphedema.  The box rubbed up against her legs.  I felt bad for that but she didn't object and was nice about it.  Again, I wished I had a Bible, especially a kid Bible for the little boy she was attending on the bus.  
When we got to my stop, I had to reach around the welder to press the button.  I pretended to flirt with him and then said "Don't worry, I'm married".  He grinned.  I asked the driver to open the back door.  Surely that would be an easier egress.  Not really, the sign (rolled up) kept bumping into things.  Oh, well.  Maybe next time I will take a cab home.  I could have afforded it.  
I walked home through the subdivision, it was unremarkable except for a freakishly large mosquito trying to land on my arm.  I brushed it off and scolded it, it didn't bother me again.  
I got home, took my pills (I had already eaten my big meal), threw away the empty cardboard, and took a nap.  Ron woke me up at 1.  He had set his alarm for pill time, and then he had to call in the soda order.  Torbie joined me.  She kept pawing at my face every time I stopped petting her.  I finally hid my face under the blanket and she settled down, curled up by my head.  I love it when a cat sleeps by my head.  I didn't sleep very well but I did nap a little, woke up with a progressing headache.  
It's not a migraine but it's a headache.  Maybe every Bible handout will = a headache.  I am OK with that.  The recipients were so happy, especially when I told them I'd be praying for them daily.  I took some Excedrin.  
I'm supposed to be helping Ron with some accounting, but the cats are hogging up the bed.  Both the girls are sleeping on either side of his leg.  Baby Girl is pressed up against those gruesome scabs on his lower leg, and Torbie is curled up on the other side of the leg.  No room for me to sit on the bed and help him sort the receipts.  So I'll have fun for a little while and then do it later.  
I think I'll go drink my last diet Dr Pepper.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Many people were interested in their devices and didn't even know I was there. I could have stripped down and done the Handout naked, and they wouldn't have noticed! God is working on them."

Ummmm no he's not. Maybe instead he could work on the child abusers to stop their abuse instead. It would be more helpful to our society as these children grow up to be adults and many are miserable and repeat patterns without even realizing it.

Heather Knits said...

God is working. Evil works due to free will. People have to have a choice to be good or evil; some choose "poorly" to quote an old movie.

About the cycle of abuse, I have lived it. My birth mother was very badly abused by her schizophrenic mother, she did her best to avoid damaging her kids, but she did nonetheless. We are all scarred in one way or another.