Tuesday, March 27, 2018

All Spanish Handout

Here's the Bible Handout update: 
Yesterday I got 233 Bibles on my porch.  That was some work getting them in the house!  I've got them stacked up by the bear (long story) in my little "foyer". 

Today was my All-Spanish handout.  I had seen a lot of need for Spanish, and thought they deserved their own handout.  I had the sign, I certainly had the Bibles, so I went. 

I took a cab, as usual.  The driver was very nice.  He got a bag of candy with a scripture booklet, and a very good tip.  He was not a Spanish speaker or I'd have given him a Bible, too. 

I did have about half a dozen English New Testaments, and I ended up needing them.  I got set up. 

I walked up to one guy, he seemed kind of tough, tattoos everywhere, scowling a little.  I asked him if he spoke Spanish.  He said he didn't have any money (for me).  I told him that was great, I didn't want any.  He sat up a little at that.  I showed him the Bible and told him I'd like to give it to him, and pray for him every day.  He took it. 

Then the police came.  Someone called in on me.  He rolled up, saw me working.  I had my "Ask me for Free Bibles" hat on, clean, obviously not a tweaker trying to get drugs.  He asked me if I was accepting money.  I told him no, sir.  I understood I couldn't do that.  He basically told me to carry on and left. 

There are 3 laws.  Don't take money.  Don't touch the cars.  Don't block traffic (sometimes I am guilty of the 3rd).  As long as I obey the "three commandments" I am free to do whatever I want on the median. 

I had a lot of singles and doubles.  Some people wanted a Bible for themselves but they had a passenger, so I gave them 2.  Some people couldn't believe I was handing out Spanish Bibles.  When I showed them I was (it has a big title in Spanish) they accepted them eagerly. 

I had one guy, seemed even scarier than my first recipient.  In addition to a lot of tattoos, he had piercings.  He was scowling.  I offered him a Bible and he underwent a total change, softened up, thanked me, held it in both hands.  He was thrilled when I told him I'd pray for him daily (I try to tell all the recipients). 

I had one recipient I got on another handout thank me for doing this one.  He said some nice things about me but I'm just doing my job. 

I had a couple wanted Bibles and when I passed them by, walking, she was (passenger) reading it. 

I had a Mom and some kids in a minivan.  She looked pretty angry so I didn't think she'd be interested, but she waved me over and took 3. 

I had a long line of clear English speakers, but I felt a leading to walk down it anyway.  About halfway down a guy ran across the street and jumped up on the curb right next to me.  He was pretty tough-looking, tattoos, scowling.  I asked him if he spoke Spanish.  He started, then saw my sign, and me offering him a Bible.  He took it and ran the rest of the way across the street.  If I hadn't listened to the leading I would have missed a great opportunity. 

I heard someone yelling for me in the middle lane, and I went out to investigate.  She was waving a dollar out the window.  I told her I didn't take donations.  "Then what are you doing?"  I explained, and told her I had English, too.  She wanted 3. 

I had a very dark-skinned lady with long hair stop and wave me over.  I told her I had English, she said she needed Spanish.  3, in fact.  I was happy to get her set up and told her she'd be prayed for. 

I worked for 2 hours.  I handed out about 45 Bibles.  I had two partial cases, one whole Bibles, one New Testaments.  I only have a couple of New Testaments left. 

After I left I gave a Scripture booklet with candy to the lady at Walgreens (cold sodas), the guy at Dairy Queen (I got a shake), and the bus driver who brought me home. 

Please pray for the recipients!

After the Handout, I went to the Walgreens to get a cold soda, and then went to the Dairy Queen for "my" shake.  I had a different bus driver going home, I finished earlier than usual.  I walked home through the subdivision. 

It seemed like every dog in the neighborhood was barking at me.  They were all confined, though.  As I passed #2, I got a glimpse through their fence.  Their little dog was clean and well groomed, running around in the yard.  That made me happy.  One time the dog got out, came up to me.  It was covered in mats and seemed very pitiful.  Now it's well groomed and a much better looking dog.  Good. 

That's one reason I am so diligent about brushing Baby Girl: an animal, covered in mats, is a very sad thing.  Not to mention it can hurt the animal and make it uncomfortable.  I learned that much watching "Animal Cops". 

I talked to Ron a little, he joked about bailing me out of jail (because of the officer, earlier, during the handout).  I asked him how much he would pay to get me out of jail.  We were kidding around about that. 

I do have one small problem.  They didn't fill one box of New Testaments properly, and one of the Bibles got folded over in half, with the weight of the whole box on top of it.  It is, to my opinion, pretty unusable.  I don't want to throw it away but I can't donate it, either.  I suppose I will create a shelf for misfit Bibles and put it there.  After the rapture, people will be desperate for Bibles.  Someone will be happy to take it, then. 

I took a nap.  I woke up with a headache and a backache.  I was surprised about the back, because my load wasn't very heavy today.  I had two partial cases, maybe 10 pounds in one and 12 in the other.  I also woke up with a nasty canker sore on my tongue.  It hurts.  I took some b-vitamins for that. 

Ron, on his own, made a trip for me to go to Walmart tomorrow.  That was very nice, especially since it's supposed to rain.  I made sure to thank him. 

I was not up to a trip to Walmart after the Bible Handout.  It's not hard work but it's draining.  I am happy to do it, don't get me wrong, but it requires a lot of focus. 

I'm still tired, and I just got up an hour ago, took excedrin, and took a b-vitamin (supposed to be good for energy).  I did take my pills when I got home, I had some chips and had already consumed my shake, that worked OK (I didn't get sick). 

Happily I did up my pills yesterday so I don't need to worry about doing them for 2 weeks, but I do need to get my blood test done.  Doc wants the results before he sees me on the 10th. 

That's it for now.  I'm praying for you daily. 

No comments: