Thursday, March 15, 2018

Another Bible Handout

I did a Bible Handout today. Yesterday, though, I almost killed myself getting the case of Bibles off the bookcase. It was about 5 feet off the floor. I couldn't get it to move and gave it a mighty yank. It came flying off (all 30 pounds), nearly hit me in the head, I lost my grip on it, and it fell on a milk crate on the floor. The Bibles were fine, I was fine, so was the milk crate. 

The case behaved better today. I got it loaded on the cart. I didn't bungee it to the cart because that causes problems trying to load everything . I picked up the case, then the cart, then the bag. Much easier. 

I had a nice driver who was just thrilled to hear what I'm doing. I gave her a Bible, some candy, and a really good tip. She gave me a big hug. 

I got set up on the corner. It was pretty slow but I had some unusual transactions: one guy with cerebral palsy was very excited about getting a Bible, his caregiver got it for him and handed it right over. Then I had the nice man with the gold teeth. 

Of course I had plenty of Spanish. I really need to do an all-Spanish Handout. That could be pretty impressive. As it is, I handed out 8 Spanish New Testaments and a handful of Scripture booklets (www.wmpress.org). 

I had a lot of pedestrians, it was a nice day. One young black man came by, eyed me, and went to the bus stop. After a while watching me work, he yelled "Can I get a Bible?" Absolutely, I told him. He said he just wanted one and ran across the street to get it. I asked the lady at the bus stop if she wanted a Bible and she said "Spanish". I gave him one for her. It was my last. He ran back across the street and the bus came a few minutes later. 

I saw a ton of kids riding with their parents, and almost all of them looked VERY interested, but the parents generally said no. One black lady told me "You're the only positivity I've seen on the corner!" and got a Bible each for herself and her daughter. One Spanish-accented guy wanted an English Bible each for him "and my kid, is that OK?" Of course. My last transaction of the day: I had 4 Bibles left. A minivan drove past, kids gaping at me. I didn't think much of it until they started yelling. 3 kids, and a mother, all wanted Bibles. You bet, and I'm out! 

I went to the drugstore and bought a nice cold soda to celebrate. 

I had a lot of people who told me they had Bibles already. I asked them to pray for "Everyone who gets a Bible". They all affirmed they would do that. I must have had over a dozen people agree to be my prayer warriors, and one man said he would pray every day! I was thrilled. I can't do this without prayer backup. 

As usual, people were shocked when I refused "donations". I told them I had friends who help me buy the Bibles. You do! I strive very hard to be a good steward, every penny donated for Bibles goes to just that. At worst, it goes to shipping for the Bibles. All the cab rides, sign, my junk, snacks, that's all my money at work. I have to answer to God and I want to get a "Well done". 

Thank you for reading yet another post and thank you for your prayers!

No comments: