Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Heather, I'm getting sick of the Handouts!

Yesterday I had a migraine. I was sick down to my *toenails*. I woke up today with a moderate headache but the migraine was gone, and the Excedrin worked on what I did have.
I got my stuff together and checked my last case of Bibles. I had an unfortunate accident with the case a while back and I was worried some of the Bibles might be damaged. They were all perfect. I reloaded them in the case and headed out the door.
I had a rather dour cab driver but he took a Bible and I got set up on the median. I gave one Bible to a nice man with gold teeth, one to a woman going the "wrong" way, and tried to give one to a man who told me I'd already gotten him last week.
Spanish. I am doing an all Spanish, because I gave away nearly half my Bibles in Spanish today. The scripture booklets were a big hit and one guy got so into his booklet, he missed the light! They were honking at him to move.
I had a lot of singles and couples. One lady asked for a Spanish Bible. I gave her two. She tried to give one back and I indicated the elderly lady in the backseat. She handed it back. I didn't get any kids this time, or people asking for Bibles, for kids, but I had a lot of singles and doubles.
Two people asked me what I was handing out, they weren't interested (or already had) in Bibles, but they wanted to know what I was doing! I told them and they harrumphed a little bit, but didn't say anything. I was doing NKJV today.
I saw some police but no one wanted a Bible today. It took me about 2 hours to distribute 28+16. I had one left when I finished. I went to the drugstore and bought a cold soda. The cashier looked a little curious at my getup and the gear (I was dragging the cart behind me, with the empty box and tote bag), so I told her what I do. She liked it, so I gave her my last Bible. She was very impressed and started reading it right there at work!
I had two good Samaritans offer to buy me drinks. I thought that was very sweet but I had a drink. I thanked them profusely. If they come back, and it's hotter, I'll probably take them up on it!
Thank you for your prayers. I covet them, especially for the recipients. I can't do what I do without prayer backup; I know that.
Thanks for reading!

Now, for more detail: when I got to my venue I couldn't get the cart unfolded.  The wheels fold flat if I squish it down, but I couldn't unsquish it.  I became mildly panicked.  How can I get the Bibles out to the median if I don't have a cart?  I prayed about it, remembering my devotional from the other day how God wants to help us out, and it worked.  

The Handout was pretty standard but easily half the people passing me up were Spanish.  Sometimes I could get them to take a Bible just by showing them I had Spanish.  In fact, I can't recall anyone who said no.  So I can definitely do an all-Spanish.  I just need to gather up what I do have and take that out.  I can order more in the meantime. 

I called Ron and he wanted something from Dairy Queen.  I went there and had a burger and a vanilla shake.  I bought him a #6 (Chicken fried steak patty on a bun) and took it home to him.  He enjoyed it, but said it was "too much, like something a day laborer would eat".  He collapsed into bed after eating it.  

I forgot my candy, so of course I felt like a total shit when my driver (the same one I had last week) told me how much he had enjoyed his candy.  Oops.  I'll do better next time.  I need to remember to get it ALL together before I call the cab.  

I wanted to take a nap when I got home but the Excedrin I took this morning had me too wired.  I could not sleep, and I tried for an hour.  I even had Torbie! in the bed.  

Off I go to balance my checkbook and order some Bibles. 

Edit: ordered my Bibles.  Got a lot of Spanish since that's what they want.  100 Spanish NT, 
100 NKJV Whole Bibles 
28 KJV Whole Bibles 

5 Large Print (I have been getting requests) Gospel of Johns 

Have no idea where I'm going to put them all!

Church source (my supplier) sent me a coupon for 10% off PLUS free shipping over $25 (which I crushed).  So God saved the sponsors about a hundred dollars or so.  Enough to get that last 50 Spanish NT.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work for the Lord!