Friday, March 2, 2018

Another Bible Handout

I did my first Bible handout at a median on Veterans and Antoine. I noticed it was empty, lately, and decided to fill it with Free Bibles! 

I had my handcart so I only took one case of Bibles, they are very heavy. Gorgeous Bibles, but very heavy. For Spanish, I brought some Scripture booklets (I ended up handing out several). I also brought my tote bag, which has various booklets and supplies for the handout. 

I called a cab, he came pretty quick, helped me load the cart, and took me to the location. Plan A was to use the Veteran's median. Plan B (if homeless people were begging on the median) was to go to the mall and do a handout nearby. 

The median was empty so I unloaded and got set up. NO interest for a while, just people ignoring me while they texted. I don't mind if they read the sign and then decide no, but if they won't even look at the sign... 

I finally started handing them out in ones and twos. A truck with furniture guys on board. People riding in cars, wanting a Bible, so I gave one to the passenger and the driver.

I also had a policeman, he was very eager to get a Bible.  We chatted some waiting for the light to change.   

One lady was baffled why I wouldn't take money. "But you have a sign?" I told her it's to give away Bibles, only. I told a couple of persistent people (wanted to give me money) I had a go fund me and they finally let it go. 

I gave 3 Bibles to women smoking in their cars. I thought that was interesting. One car had 3 women in it. The front women were talking to each other. The backseat woman saw my sign and leaned forward. When I passed the car, they had the window down, demanding Bibles. 

One guy explained he was a Buddhist and only read Vietnamese. I gave him a Vietnamese booklet! He was impressed. 

I also handed out several Spanish booklets to various parties. I tried to give one man an English booklet, and he showed me a Spanish booklet he had! I thought that was great. 

I gave away what I thought to be my last 3 Bibles, and a man in a pickup asked me for a Bible. I told him I was out, but something told me to *look*. I looked and I had another Bible. I swear that was not in there 30 seconds ago. I gave it to him. 

I told everyone (except one person, and I feel terrible about it), I would be praying for them. They were happy to hear it. I cleaned up my mess (whenever I hand out a case of Bibles, I'm stuck with a case), and went home on the bus. 

I only take the cabs when I have a heavy load, or the bus isn't practical. Please pray for the recipients!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Heather!!!

Spankadoo said...

So glad you where able to get out and do what fills your bucket Heather!