Friday, February 28, 2014

Better than that

You may read this and go "What?  Heather why are you doing this?"  I'll explain. 

Really pleased today.

We went into work today, we knew the other vendors would be there, but like I told Ron "We didn't do anything wrong, why should we hide?"

We went to the warehouse, got supplies, and then went to work. Paratransit dropped us off and I left Ron sitting outside with the stuff, then I went in and got our cart out of the shared stockroom.

The other vendor's employees were really happy to see me. It is nice to see some smiling faces. I asked about their loved ones, got my cart, and left. The other vendors pointedly ignored me.

Later on, (our machines were wiped out!) a hungry construction worker mentioned he really wanted some banana pudding cupcakes. I said we don't sell them, the other people do, but I'll ask them to stock more. He was very happy, and said he'd buy them all.

As we were leaving I saw one of the other vendor's employees. I told him about the cupcakes, and mentioned "This guy is looking all over the building!"

His jaw hit the floor as he gaped at me.  I was giving them business? 

"You can make a lot of money here!" I grinned.

I know that will get back to the other vendor, that I'm sending them business.

It's very liberating to live Biblically. I see why God tells us to pray for backstabbers, do good to those trying to screw you over, etc (paraphrased).

Besides, if nothing else I want that guy to get his cupcakes. Customer service above all else.

Why am I doing this?  Because God commands it. 

Here's, in my opinion, the most relevant passage on the subject: 

Romans 12:20
Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”
 
That's pretty clear. 
 
You might think I'd be a little bitter about this?   Resentful?  I'm not. 
 
I think it's wonderful.  I have clean hands in all this.  I am serving God and the customers to the best of my ability.  I am maintaining good relations with the other vendor's employees, if not him (they made a big point of avoiding me so I reciprocated).  I'm not dragging a sack of ugly everywhere I go; and I'm not dumping my poison on others, either. 

Don't you hate people who do that?  I do. 
 
I've had so much crap in my life, this is nothing.  It's not worth it. 
 
Besides, I was talking to one of the other vendors at the warehouse.  He has a mobile vending operation.  I told him how the other guy is getting the offices. 
 
"Oh, you don't want them!" he said as he shuddered "A LOT of trouble, those office workers!  Very demanding and they don't spend any money!" 

No comments: