Sunday, February 2, 2014

You need to go to the shelter.

I'm on Facebook.  You can figure out my name (hint, sidebar) and friend me there, but I don't do games. 

At any rate, I "like" various things like terrifying-looking gospel rappers, cat pages, etc. 

The cat pages are pretty chatty.  I see a lot of memorial posts "Now that Angel has passed, I just wanted to share her/  3 years after Buddy crossed the rainbow bridge I still miss him"

I always think, you need to go to the shelter.  The best thing I ever did after Bubba died, was go to the shelter.  I went 2 days later. 

I'm glad I did, "My" cat was scheduled for termination within a few days.  No one wanted an older cat, except me. 

I went in there, looking for the cat God had for me, not the cat I wanted.  I probably would have gotten a small to medium black cat, but God had a very special torbieshell (tortiseshell tabby) for me, instead.  She's so pretty.  I sat down in a chair and waited for the cat to come to me, and she did.  She stayed in my lap for an hour and I took her. 

I had a migraine this morning.  I was lying in bed, pretty miserable, and she came in the room.  She meowed and jumped in the bed, sniffed my head, and looked at me "What can I do?"  I .... hm, gracious way to phrase it... ah.  I made a "snow angel" with my legs and pointed at the open spot.  She jumped right in and stayed there for hours. 

When I felt better, I had to pull myself out around her, so I wouldn't bother her. 

She's the perfect pet for me.  I am pretty quiet and subdued, so's she.  When she came to live with us, she was so thin I could feel her backbone, every time I petted her.  Ron and I fattened her up pretty quick.  I'm a cuddler, so's she.  She doesn't mind being picked up if we're going somewhere (sometimes I bring her to bed if I'm having a bad day).  I don't do it often, though; it's been my experience cats would rather keep their feet on the ground. 

She's just a sweet armload of orange/black/brown/white fluff.  I love her so much.  I'm so, so, glad I went to the shelter. 

Yes, I still grieved for Bubba.  I had a monthlong depression, and grieved beyond that, but when I did she'd jump up in my lap for petting.  I needed that.  I needed a cat to love. 

I'd have had a much harder time without her. 

Ron's cat is as independent as Ron, and completely bonded to him.  She'll sleep under my computer room chair (a folding one) sometimes, but no petting allowed. 

If you've lost a pet recently or even years ago, I strongly suggest you go to the shelter.  Let the pet pick you.  It will. 

You will never regret it. 

Regarding older animals; give them a chance, I may only have a couple years with Torbie, but they're worth it. 

No comments: