Thursday, February 20, 2014

Chicken fried steak and I think I'm getting manic

We had a wonderful ride to Doc.  He's a ways off, but worth the trip. 

Metrolift hired a regular cab, and it was lovely.  The driver was great.  We got there an hour early. 

A few minutes later found me in the deli area of his building, trying to figure out my tablet.  I've had issues.  After about 20 minutes, I figured out that while the little meters said there was open wifi, there wasn't a connection.  Frustrating.  I don't plan to do a lot "online" once I download a couple programs, but I've had a hell of a time getting to the downloading programs. 

I finally put away the tablet and drank my Diet Dr Pepper.  Calmed down for a few minutes and Ron and I went in to see Doc. 

They saw us early, that's the nice thing about going early.  That means they can also bump up the other appointments, see them all sooner, and then go to lunch early. 

They liked the cookie "copay" in addition to my usual cash. 

Doc had yet another student who sat in on the session.  Ron was a little irked, after.  "He spent more time talking to the student than he did talking to you!" 

I assured Ron that Doc had a very good idea of my "status" the minute he looked at me.  And he did, told the student I was "hypomanic" - I was, thanks to the antidepressant, but I think I am actually cycling manic praise God. 

The trick of course is to be a little happy without getting too happy.  My mood stablizers, all 5 of them, should take care of that. 

So, Doc lectured the student, refilled my prescriptions, and out the door.  He's a good doc. 

I wish I could find a general practicioner like him. 

Afterwards, we went to the lobby and waited for my aunt.  I couldn't get her on the phone.  Uh-oh.  Last time we had a problem.  I hoped we wouldn't today. 

I'd gotten a Chili's gift card for Christmas, $25, and really wanted a chicken fried steak.  Happily she'd just forgotten the phone. 

We headed off to Chilis.  Ron and I had chicken fried steaks. 

Now I don't think I've discussed this: Ron has a problem with gorging.  He will just eat and eat until it's all gone (he did this before the accident).  Then he sits there groaning horribly like he's about to die. 

So, I took his plate away and took most of the food away, putting it in a takeout container.  I also gave him my mashed potatoes and corn. 

It would have been perfect with brown gravy, but it was pretty good anyway!  I ate the whole steak.  Yum.  I love a good chicken fried steak, but I haven't eaten one in ages. 

The last CF steak I had wasn't that impressive.  This was nearly perfect. 

My aunt brought us back to the building, and we waited on our ride.  A Metrolift pulled up.  L. got out. 

The man is nice enough, but he bathes in some kind of awful, cheap, aftershave.  I've talked to him about it, he just says "Yeah" and keeps doing it.  He doesn't realize how pervasive it is, and how it can give me a migraine.  I went 20 feet downwind and I could still smell it.  I thanked God he was dropping off, and not our return driver. 

Our driver came soon enough, and he was great.  He liked Ron's music and the ride went pretty fast.

By then, I was moderately depressed, so I took a nap for a while.  I had a horrible nightmare about my bed by the side of the road, and me rolled up in a blanket with my head beaten in.  Of course I got up after that. 

I think God "allows" horrible nightmares to keep me out of bed when I'm depressed.   

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Oh my, I love chicken-fried steak with the white gravy, though it must remain a once in a blue moon treat.

Also, I love my grandmother's authentic country-style tomato gravy recipe, used over homemade biscuits. It's a roux-based tomato gravy, which "smooths" it to be perfect for use as a breakfast gravy to go with the biscuits (cuts the acidity).