Monday, February 10, 2014

More than you ever wanted to know about my mouth

I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.  After all, I worked on my feet, with a broken toe.  However, this gingivitis pain nearly has me on my knees, sobbing. 

I get these attacks every now and then; very angry, painful, and inflammed gums.  It's partly genetic.  It's also partly due to my medication.  Dry mouth feeds it, and I have plenty of dry mouth. 

So, my day off is spent with pain at a good 5 on a 1-10.  Not fun.  I've had a total of 8 teeth pulled, 4 at a time, once when I was 12 (I'll do a blog on that), and again when I was 19.  I was back to normal activity in a day or two.  This is worse. 

Ron has an amazing tolerance for pain.  I remember after he had his pericardial window surgery.  He had a 6 inch  incision in his chest running towards his belly button.  He had an incision to his chest, a hole cut in the sac surrounding his heart, and chest tubes sewed into drain holes.  He said he was "fine" the next day.  I finally asked him, in front of the nurse, "What's your pain on a 1-10". 

"Oh" he replied cheerfully, "An 8".  The nurse went and got the morphine. 

So I'm not a very cheeful person today.  We did to go Walmart.  I got some oral analgesic gel, which I can apply to my gums and sleep.  I also got some "Total care" mouthwash (the "pro" stuff is awful!) to go with the "Total" toothpaste I use anyway.  That ate up most of my money, but I don't want dentures if I can avoid them.  I have plenty of pain killing and germ killing stuff in my arsenal. 

Now I need to figure out the rest of it.  One friend suggested putting tea tree oil in my mouthwash.  That would be beyond revolting.  No thanks. 

Cold things seem to help.  I got some ice cream even though I know sugar feeds Bad Things. 

I'd rather have this than a bladder or sinus infection.  I might take some B-vitamins, if Ron still has them.  I am taking a lot of antioxidants (vitamin A, C, E).  I'm taking Olive Leaf.  I'm doing what I can. 

I just hate to suffer.  Bad enough I'm crazy and have a depression right now, physical pain on top is just...

Unfair. 

No comments: