Sunday, February 16, 2014

A nasty prank

When I'm manic, I like to play the occasional prank on Ron. 

One of my favorites: Ron was always late coming out for our ride.  One day I had someone tell  Ron I had already left in the vehicle. 

Ron and I were talking about one prank I pulled after his accident.  It was a huge deal in the Houston blind community.  One of their own, a Houston native, run over.  All sorts of people came out of the woodwork. 

Some of them were very nice, like one of Ron's old girlfriends (about his age).  They had "a thing" back when I was in diapers.  She came to visit and Ron liked her, so we chatted a little on the phone. 

"Ron has huge gaps in his memory" I told her one day.  "It would be fun to pull a prank.  Let's tell him you had his kid after he moved to California!" 

She agreed, giggling.  She came in to visit and solemnly told Ron he had a son, a nice young man who really wanted to meet him. 

Ron got so agitated he almost fell out of bed.  He kept yelling "No!"

See, I had a problem keeping Ron engaged.  He would drift off very easily and it was hard to get him to focus on the present.  I was happy to see him emoting. 

The nurses, not so much.  They thought I was a cruel bitch and ran the poor lady off.  She called a few times, reminding Ron of his "son" but Ron caught on.  I think she started laughing. 

At any rate, I still think it's funny.  Even Ron laughs. 

No comments: