Saturday, February 8, 2014

That's what you think

In the New Testament, the Apostle Paul, writing to a church, says he has learned to be happy with a little, or a lot. 

I am pretty content with a little, but when nice things come my way I get uncomfortable. I can take a compliment online, but in person I am liable to become awkward. 

Tonight I've been musing about all the good things God has given me, a house, a husband, two wonderful cats, a job I love, decent health, and a new electronic device.  Now, according to Amazon, it's only "worth" a few hours of my pay, but it is a nice new thing for me. 

I don't feel like I deserve it.  No, I'm not going to play the old "You have to convince me I deserve it" game.  I hate that.  God gave it to me, I need to accept it graciously. 

Admittedly, so few people showed up at the water board meeting I had pretty good odds of winning, but at the end of it God wanted to give me a nice thing.  I have, I feel, an embarrassment of nice things. 

I have an MP3 player.  Yeah, it's old, about 2010.  It runs on AA batteries, a wonderful feature.  It has 2 megabytes.  It plays music.  That's it.  It's made by RCA and cost me about $30.  But I love it, it's easy to operate, and I found a nice little case to hang it around my neck on a Day Out. 

I have a phone.  Let's stop there.  A lot of people don't.  I have a phone.  Not only do I have a phone, but I have a phone with a built in MP3 player, camera, and video.  That was the cheapest, basic, model.  It cost about $50, over a year ago.  I like it.  It's very simple.  As near as I can tell, it only has one ringtone, but it's easy to look at the screen (if you're not in the phone book I don't answer).  I love it.  I'd love it more if it were purple, but life isn't perfect.  I can live with wedgewood and black.  I carry it in a phone holder I made myself, which I hang around my neck (notice a theme here?). 

I have a wonderful old low-def 20 inch TV no one wanted to steal.  So, I still have it, even after my home was robbed. 

I have a laptop.  Admittedly a very old, somewhat buggy, laptop, but it works.  It's taking my data right now, and uploading it to blogger.  Battery life is irrelevant, I use it as a desktop.  I'd get a desktop if this one died.  It would just be bad to move it around the house.  I always have a drink at hand, I'm forgetful, Ron's blind... I have 2 cats... it works great and does what I need it to do.  It's a lot better than the nothing I had after I was robbed, that's for sure.  It's also a sweet symbol of caring from my brother in law, who could have kept it to himself. 

Now I have a tablet.  It really hit me as I picked out apps.  So far, I got Kingsoft Office (so I can make inventory spreadsheets), Bloggeroid (for blogging, it had the best reviews), and Simple List Free (I can really use a list app for inventory and things to do - my memory is dreadful).   I put them all on a wishlist and Google told me "You don't have an Android device". 

Ha.  That's what you think! 

No comments: