Friday, February 7, 2014

Girl's best friend

"It's Love Day" I think.  "Hmm.  I want something soaked in blood and pain." 

Say what? 

From Wikipedia: "The diamond's high value has also been the driving force behind dictators and revolutionary entities, especially in Africa, using slave and child labor to mine blood diamonds to fund conflicts."

No, thanks.  Even if I were into diamonds, I wouldn't want that on my hand.  How could I sleep at night? 

Now, I like pretty things.  I have a weakness for cute titanium rings.  I got myself a tungsten ring last year (but found it rather cold; and the finish didn't stand up too well to my work).  Happily, the durable metals like titanium run in the low end of the price range.  I have yet to hurt one.  I could go to Amazon and buy myself a basic ring for a few dollars plus shipping. 

I have, somewhere in transit, a very nice titanium ring with some channel set CZ's.  It cost me about $20.  I look forward to wearing it.  Everyone will assume my loving husband purchased it for me.  Good.  I even plan (between you and I) to hand him the package when it arrives.  He'll give it to me and I can say "Ron gave it to me". 

I work with my hands.  I need something durable, that's why I got a titanium wedding band.  However, a couple of things happened.  1.  I got fat (and titanium cannot be sized).  2.  I realized I like to change up my wedding band now and then.  I don't see a problem as long as I'm wearing a wedding band.  Ron doesn't care, either. 

I don't see the point in getting a piece of jewelry every "love day" either.  If I got a piece of jewelry every birthday, anniversary, and Valentine's day, I would have over 60 pieces of jewelry.  I would never get a chance to wear them all.  Ron would be bankrupt. 

I doubt I will treasure anything as much as I did the first ring he gave me.  It was gold tone plated ring with a pink cubic zirconia.  I thought it was lovely.  I've looked at getting another heart shaped pink CZ ring, but the only one I found had terrible reviews.  The nice thing about something like that - people know it's fake and has little material value. 

When we were just starting to date, he took out his key ring one day.  He pulled off an old key and I asked for it.  I said "It's the key to your heart!" and he grinned.  I wore it on a braided cord, around my neck, until I moved in with him.  I still have the key. 

I think he's always felt kind of bad he couldn't give me "The kind of gift you deserve" but what would I do with it?  I couldn't wear it to stock vending machines.  I couldn't wear it on a Bible handout, on paratransit, or the bus.  I would have to hide it away. 

No point in that. 

One Valentine's day he bought me a case of Bibles.  Another time he accompanied me on a Bible Handout.  That's what I like.  I'll probably make him a gumbo, because his love language is "acts of service".  He likes me to make, or do, things for him. 

My love language is quality time.  I get plenty of that. 

I'm happy. 

No comments: