Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Stranger than Fiction

I wanted it, I really wanted it. 

The Water District was having a meeting, and they were offering a few Tablet (computers) as door prizes.  I thought to myself, it would be so great to have one.  I have no idea how to operate them, but it would be a NEW computer for the first time in 15 years (I have always gotten used, reconditioned units due to budget issues).  I wanted it.  Even though I have a computer... and I didn't really know why. 

We went to the meeting and I was given the raffle ticket.  Ron got one too.  I laughed to Ron when I saw one of the Water District guys drinking a bottle of water.  I wanted to go tease him "You won't drink your own water?"  I didn't. 

Instead, over the course of the meeting, I
1.  Told the district guys I was drinking their water right then, I loved it.  He kept talking about "The BEST water in Texas!" and I'd salute him with my cup.  I went back and filled it from the fountain, twice.  Lithium dry mouth has turned me into the human sponge, but I'm "supposed" to drink a lot of water anyway.  He could tell I was a fan. 

2.  When they explained the recent "light industrial" development; I asked a clarifying question "You mean these guys are going to help lower our utility taxes?"  They jumped on it and repeated my statement a few more times. 

3.  Ron said I was a "cheerleader" for the guys.  "Anything we can do to improve customer service?"
"Yes, when the meter reader comes by, could you ask him to mow my yard?"  Someone was teasing me about that after the meeting. 

4.  They had door prizes- and I won a tablet!  I did happy squeals, a happy dance, and hugged the tablet as the audience chuckled approvingly.  "It doesn't hurt" I told Ron later "To show people you're happy." 

5.  Our ride home on paratransit was just a mess; so one of the district guys gave us a ride.  That was great.  I told him how I had visited a water treatment plant, as a child, and I'd never had a problem drinking tap water since.  He liked that. 

So now I'm home.  I'm going to charge my computer tonight (I'm on the old one) and figure it out tomorrow.  I don't do very well learning new things after I take my medication. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fun! Congratulations ! The tablets are so easy, don't try to " overthink" I did and wasted time!