Friday, November 30, 2012

Hug a Recipient Day

The handout went great!

I had done up about 70 or so regular Bibles.  I signed a Christmas card, "I'll be praying for you every day!  Heather and Friends".  I also put in a tract and stamped each Bible with church contact info (I have worried about my recipients getting sucked into something bad, so I'm really happy the pastor gave me a stamp).

I did that for ALL the Bibles.  Someone, a mother, sent me some money for "Bibles".  I prayed on it and was led to buy Kiddie Bibles.  http://www.biblicadirect.com/p-1417-nirv-childrens-new-testament.aspx   They are really great.

I had a case, 40, of them.  I also had about 5 Spanish New Testaments.  Since Acres Homes is predominately Black, I figured that would be fine.  I put in some Spanish Gospels of John (my aunt bought them, and I still have some left) just in case, but I didn't need them.

Then I loaded the 3 cases of Bibles onto the wheelchair, put the signs in the back (Ron has a smaller sign), loaded my reflective vest (aka my "garment of praise" Source

We had everything we needed, except Ron's cell phone, which he later discovered was missing.  Oh, well.

Our ride was right on time.  He's a nice guy, has a Jesus tattoo.  He took one look at everything and cheerfully asked what I was doing today.

"A Bible Handout" I replied.
"You picked the right place for it!"  Then I got to hear, again, about the horrible neighborhood.

I don't care.  God called me to go there, so I'm going.  I'd walk over broken glass to do a Handout.

We got everything strapped (which is also ghetto slang for carrying a handgun), loaded Ron, and off we went.  It was a straight trip.

Recipients hate the rain.  Normally, they'll open their window for a Bible, but not in the rain.  It started to rain.

Ron started yelling at God, and the rain stopped.  [laugh]  Whatever works.

I got Ron set up on the median, unloaded my 3 cases, and filled my shoulder bag.  Immediately, I had people asking for Bibles.

I can see why God had me get the children's Bibles - when the recipients found out I had them, they took them.  They were thrilled.  Bibles for me and other adults, and Bibles for my kids!  I was handing out 7-8 to each car until I ran out of Children's Bibles.

I had 3 different versions.  I had some HCSB - they are more of a butter yellow with taupe scrollwork.  I had some "Tree" NIV's - really pretty.  Then I had the basic blue NKJV ones my Pastor gave me.

A professional driver pulled up next to me.  She said "Give me one".  I offered her the blue one.  "No, I don't want that one, give me the yellow one."  I smiled and did so.  "Oh, and my passenger wants one too."  You got it.

Three people, that I know of, saw me, but couldn't get over in the traffic, hung a u-turn, and came back.  Three parked their cars and ran out to me, to get the Bible.

One guy was very, very, drunk.  He decided he wanted a Bible.  He almost stepped in front of a big rig so I told him I'd go to him.  As I got to him, he adjusted himself, then took the Bible.  God, I love my recipients.  I really mean that.

Everyone was so thrilled to find out the Bible really was free.  Ron said I should tell them about my sponsors but like I told Ron, they just take the Bibles and leave!  They don't hang out to talk!

Except for one - after Ron and I finished she found us and thanked me again.  I gave her a hug, and she asked a few questions about our church.  She seemed really interested.  Good.

I kept counting down, only have 10, only have 9, telling Ron my tally.

One guy pulled up.  "I've only got 5 left!  Today's the day!" He took it.

Another car, the driver said no, the passenger said yes.  Of course, in God's perfect timing when I had 2, my last car wanted 2.  All done!

I told Ron to wrap it up, right as a lady pulled up.  She was really upset.  "They're gone?"  Then I remembered I had a couple extra, just in case, so I gave them to her.  Ron kept holding up the sign and I had to take it away from him!

I only handed out the 5 Spanish - and I didn't have anyone else who wanted Spanish when I was out.  God worked it all perfectly, of course.

We were done!  I got Ron off the median and crunched up my boxes.  I got a snack from the gas station and we decided to take the bus home (our scheduled paratransit ride wasn't due for an hour).  We had done it all in about an hour.

As always, God sent hungry people ready for His word and I got to plant some seeds.  Now, praying for them every day.

That's when the lady tracked me down and I asked if I could hug her.  I have always wanted to hug a recipient.  Today was the day.

1 comment:

Jane Hettel said...

Heather Hon, just wanted to let you know how very proud of you I am of the work that you and Ron are doing... you may never know this side of Heaven just how many lives you have impacted... Lub you!