Friday, November 23, 2012

With Fries - or, my spellchecker has a nervous breakdown

I'm on a roll tonight, looking at my notebook of "Things to Blog About".

Today's is "With Fries".

You may or may not know, Houston is a huge melting pot.  We have dozens of different cultures.  Over 25% of the population was born outside the US.  Over 90 languages are spoken here.

We have fantastic cuisine.  Ron and I intend to try a Pho house soon.  I've heard very good things about it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pho

We recently tried Shawarma.  It's delicious.  Ron actually ate a leftover one on Thanksgiving morning. He likes the chicken, best.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma

I love Indian food.  Saag paneer, dal, tikka masala, mango chutney, naan, and my favorite, samosa.  I have to be careful, though.  Some cultures enjoy an atomic heat in their samosa.  I almost died!  It was so hot even Ron couldn't eat it!

We can't forget "Mexican" food.  Our favorite establishment is an actual, Mexican, taqueria.  I've always told Ron, you can tell it's authentic if they sell the "funny" meats.  I love a good quesadilla, fajitas, tacos, you name it.  About the only thing I don't like is the pico or guacamole. 

Ron likes things like chilaquiles, and machacado.  Which brings me to our point.

Ron and I enter the Taqueria.  He orders the machacado breakfast.  It comes with the main dish, beans, and french fries.  Yup.  Every breakfast comes with fries, even the authentic ones I can't pronounce.

Ron and I enter the Shawarma shop.  He orders the shawarma (I'm stuffing my face with samosa).  The plate arrives.  Shawarma neatly rolled in pita bread, with french fries.

Only in Texas!  French Fries with the ethnic food.  And, no matter the culture, they always have ketchup on the table.


2 comments:

Jillian said...

Haaahaha..it's the same where I live! My city is very multicultural..you can get everything from authentic Ethiopian to East Indian to Filipino food in the same neighbourhood here!

Unfortunately, I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food..I can't stand really spicy food or curry (so there goes East Indian food..), however, people that are love our city for that..and you could totally get french fries with a shawarma here too.;) I love how our city is so diverse, though.

Anonymous said...

Pho is great! Can be super filling and you can really make it as spicy/sweet as you want. Also, if you find a great Pho place that is authentic it is generally very cheap. Let us know how you like it.