Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Humility begin

How We Cope part Three is live, up and running.  Good.

I wrote the first article, hoping to encourage other high-functioning-fall-short-of-"normal" FAS adults.  It's a very difficult position, some will outright refuse to believe I have brain damage, and yet I do.  I can't live up to every expectation.

Tests don't lie, and I tested borderline practical intelligence.  That's OK, not horrible, but not good either.  Certainly not able to drive.  Certainly able to have a wonderful quality of life.

Happily, this depression is far better managed at Doc's higher dose of antidepressants.  They do get me a little manic in the morning, you should see me work!  [laugh]  Ron doesn't mind, and he's the one who has to live with me.

I've already gotten some compliments on the article.  Well, it's not me.  I didn't really do anything except fling my problems at God, trust him, and do my best to obey.

Which brings me to a question that's been floating around for a while: Where does a healthy self-esteem end, and humility begin?  

"You can't accept a compliment" I was told, again and again, as a teenager.  "Just say thank you".  They actually "worked" on that for a while.

For now, I have chosen to say "Thank you" and give the glory to God.  I think that works well.  I think that pleases God, which, as we all know, is the #1 goal.

No comments: