Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Someone ran a red light

One comment has been itching at me for a bit.

A commenter had mentioned, I used to have a following on a low carb board (I have a far bigger following now if I cared).  Yes, I did.  Back when I was a lukewarm, poorly-medicated Christian.  I'm surprised anyone read my blog.  I was whiny, judgmental (never got called on it then, and I was pretty mean), outright hostile, a perpetual victim.  I wasn't right.  I'm glad they deleted it.

About the only things I was "good for" in my book, were losing weight and filling the vending machines.  In every other area of my life, I was failing pretty hard.

Ron getting violently ill, due to an antibiotic allergy, for me to turn back to God.  I realized I wasn't in charge, He was, and decided I would follow Him no matter the cost.

God's the one who's carried me through everything:
1.  Neglectful, abusive childhood.
2.  Severe bullying up to age 18.
3.  Massive depressions.
4.  Hallucinations and delusions.
5.  Full blown bipolar disorder with rapid cycles and mixed episodes ("bad").   Told, repeatedly, I was not bipolar by "mental health professionals" until I was 32.
6.  A challenging marriage.
7.  Alcoholic mother and husband.
8.  Let down my multiple people I felt I could trust (not just Ron).
9.  Affairs (his, physical) and mine, emotional (one).
10.  Extreme job difficulties due to unmedicated crazy and also the brain damage.
11.  Fetal Alcohol brain damage, impairing my ability to interact with others, eliminating my ability to drive or hold higher-paying jobs.  My highest paying job made $25K a year.
12.  Brought me through multiple hurricanes, tropical storms, and a record breaking flood.

Let's take one example.  Ron is being discharged from the hospital!  Yay!  His family will be providing medication, transportation, groceries, hospital bed, and home care equipment.  However, they decide to disown him 12 hours before discharge.

At home, I have a twin bed, and a twin mattress on the floor (Ron liked it for his back problems).  I can give Ron the bed, but how will he manage?  I ended up shoving the bed against the closet door so he could lever himself, using the doorknob.   I slept on the floor for a while (a couple months, I think), until my aunt gave me an old daybed.

I thought it was cute, like Ruth and Boaz (see Biblegateway for the book of Ruth).  I was completely hysterical about the rest.  They had told me a social worker would be coming out to "evaluate" us a week after discharge.

I panicked for a while, cried all over Ron, as he pulled his bad arm around me (he has to grab the bad arm, with the good one, to hug me).  "It'll be OK", he soothed.

I took a deep breath and decided I didn't have many choices.  I could panic, and lose Ron - once he "planted" in that nursing home I'd never get him out.  I could try to do all of it on my own, which would probably have the same result, or I could turn it all over to God and see what He would do.

I chose the last.  And, sure enough, here comes home care.  They need to measure Ron for his wheelchair and shower bench.  Awesome.  A friend calls, they took up a collection at work, he will be meeting me at the hospital and giving me a ride to Walmart so I can buy groceries.  I was able to use the balance to live on until Ron's "business" got settled.  An internet friend contacts me, "I'm off tomorrow, do you need a ride home?"

Everything. In fact, the lady who gave us a ride gave me some more money to buy myself a treat, and waited with Ron in the car as I turned in Ron's prescriptions and got a pint of my favorite ice cream.  She insisted.

Now, kids, that's a Christian.  She had no idea if Ron would soil her car, but it didn't matter.  She drove probably 70 miles total just to help us out.

The look on Ron's face, as I put him into bed, was priceless.  His cat, Shadow, got up on the bed, sniffed him, and meowed.  Ron meowed back.  She curled up next to his shoulder, purring.  Ron didn't even know the word "cat" but he knew his "meow" loved him.

That's what he needed, and God made it happen.  That's the God I trust, not just because He's done all this, but because he is faithful.  I don't cry alone, ever.  If something happens, it's for a reason, and will work for good in the end.

Look at Ron's accident; it got me doing Bible handouts.  Thousands of people have Bibles because someone ran a red light.

No comments: