Friday, November 9, 2012

N-lover

Today was accounting day; so we stayed home.  After we finished the bookwork, Ron took himself off to the liquor store and I cleaned up.  I turned on the TV and watched various programs.

I also watched various commercials, and noted something I found disgusting.  The company was Swiffer.  I have nothing against Swiffer products.  I usually just use something cheaper.

In the first commercial, a white woman is cleaning her home.  She finished, and sat down with a thick hardback book.  In the second commercial, a black woman, upon finishing her chores, sits down to do a quiz in a magazine.  I found that pretty offensive.

Now, I have been accused of being an N-lover.  Heck, I married a "Negro" per his birth certificate.  I live in a "black" neighborhood, and most of my customers and drivers are black.  God made everyone and I love them all.

In fact, in many areas I would prefer a black driver, for instance.  They have excellent reflexes and street smarts.

Don't believe me?  Let me get the ads:
http://youtu.be/zvxEtBE314A  - white
http://youtu.be/WXVmC7lM-M0 - black

4 comments:

icebear said...

i'm not sure i understand... crossword puzzles aren't easy for me. But books are.

Heather Knits said...

No, it's not a crossword. It's a quiz. "Are you a good Mom". You know, check A, B or C. Very simple.

But the white woman has the complex murder mystery. It just hit me today, and I found it VERY insulting.

I'm not even black, and I found it rude and insensitive. "A black woman can only do a simple quiz, but a white woman can read a complex murder mystery."

I don't even use the cleaning products, otherwise I'd write them an email. But they probably have bots that will find this anyway.

Jillian said...

You know..that is really insulting. I haven't seen those commercials.
If someone calls you those names, I'd proudly say, "yes! i am!" and expose them for the bigot that they are. :)

Jillian said...

ps. I also noticed that the white woman was shown with a whole library in her house.

I had seen those commercials before, it just never dawned on me...