Sunday, November 11, 2012

Doom and Gloom

If I really believe things will get bad, and I fail to warn you, what does that make me?

So, if you are tired of my "doom and gloom" feel free to click out of here.  Now, for a born again believer it's different.  As my husband says "Things will get ugly, but they will be beautiful at the end".

Unlike some, I do not expect FEMA camps, roundups, confiscations, and major persecution before the rapture.  I believe it's more of a pot of water, with the temperature slowly rising.  I don't believe I will need weapons, guns, or ammunition.  I believe God will protect me.

You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for... old song.  For non-crazy people, I would suggest thinking about a firearm of some sort.  No matter your religious worldview, it ain't getting better!

I know very little about weapons.  Maybe a shotgun and handgun?   It's up to you.

I'm not here to tell you what to do, I'm here to tell you what I do.

How hard is it to throw an extra bag of rice or noodles into the shopping cart?  A bag of your favorite beans?  Do it.  Say you want a month of food for yourself.

A popular food storage calculator suggests:
25 pounds of grain
1 pound fat (shortening or lard)
5 pounds of beans
5 pounds sugar items (includes jello, candy, etc)
6 pounds of milk (probably easiest to get the tetra packed ready to drink, and powdered)

Now, that's a suggestion.  What if you say, I love chicken and dumplings.  I want to buy a couple dozen cans and eat that with boil in a bag rice.  Do it.  Make sure you eat some now and then as you rotate.

When you drink a 2-liter soda, rinse out the bottle and fill it with water.  Easy and free.

I loathe chicken so I don't have any for me.  The few meats I've canned are beef.  Ron has some canned chicken and sausage gumbo, but I need to make more.  He loves the food I can for him, so it's easy to make a big batch every now and then.  Whatever happens, he has plenty of ready to eat food.  I'm happy because he's eating what he loves.

Which brings up a point, if you want to make ready to eat, shelf stable foods, I strongly suggest you get a pressure canner, a cookbook, canning jars, and lids.  There's nothing quite like taking something out of a cabinet and heating it up for dinner.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Thank you Heather for your reasoned and reasonable perspective. You choose not to have a gun, and you have good reason, which you decided for yourself. At the same time, you don't try to extrapolate your decision and your reason for it as being applicable to the rest of the world.

Just as Christians advocate for our worldview, as is our right, just like any other interest group, but we don't try to force others to adopt it, unlike some other interest groups. Christians know that such a thing isn't even feasible, salvation is a choice which must be freely made by a person, the turning of the heart towards repentence can't be forced.

Heather Knits said...

I don't believe in telling others what to do, especially with weapons. I read a statistic, half of all Texans own a gun, so that means half my street is strapped. That's a lot of protection.

My brother has quite the collection and that's fine. I know a former gun dealer who has an arsenal. They're both nice, stable, guys.

I read an excellent book and learned almost anything can be used in self-defense, including chairs and garden implements, so I feel fine with my choices.

However, I will say people with delusional, psychotic, or depressive mental illness should not own a gun. I qualify on all 3 counts. Thinking gets very twisted up and something unthinkable can become the only "logical" option.

You can Google "Bubba Bills shooting" for more details.

Melanie said...

Thanks, I will Google the article. I also agree with you that mentally unstable people shouldn't have guns, I just think we need to be careful as a society when applying that standard. The Soviet Union showed how that can be used as a political weapon to quash opposition.

I'm not sure how I feel about such things as background checks. Without meaning to sound paranoid, gun registries could make it very easy for some future government to confiscate (legally owned) weapons, while the criminals who own illegally would be immune.

I'll never personally have that problem, all my guns accidentally fell overboard while I was out fishing :D