Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Egg Timer

Today started off with an expletive, as I saw the time.  I'd forgotten to set my alarm and overslept an hour.  I had also had a post-traumatic nightmare involving a chihuahua.  I think it represented my in-laws, who had a vicious little chihuahua they coddled.  They would laugh when it bit people.

Anyway, I got up and Ron said "It's really cold out, with gusts".  I went on a fruitless hunt for the long underwear, which I failed to locate.  I was annoyed.

I barely had time for a shower and half my God Time.  I like to do my Bible Study and pray, but I could only do the Bible.

I did the pray part about an hour ago.

I dressed in my jeans, t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, and "Big Blue" my long blue coat.  I used to have a really nice coat from Land's End, but someone stole it from the hospital after Ron's accident.

The way I see it, Big Blue keeps me safe and warm.  No one wants it.  It is clean and intact, but is clearly old and from a thrift shop.  It has nice deep pockets, I can store my fingerless wool gloves and a hand warmer with no problem.  Slap on an Army Surplus wool watch cap and I'm very toasty.

I can't quite zip it, but I'll lose the weight.  I even made a matching scarf in an alpaca blend.  Bubba cat loves to eat alpaca yarn so I had to work on it away from home.  I did and Bubba has no interest in the finished product.

Wool is great, albeit a bit itchy, but the mothproof on my surplus hats didn't take.  They got eaten up this last summer, leaving me one survivor.  Logically speaking, I only need one hat, but I was a little annoyed.

At any rate, when I stepped outside I felt OK.  Ron gave me a little money to buy some new long underwear, which is in the washer right now.

Ron dropped me at Starbucks, and went home, saving me 2 bus rides.  I ran to the Christian bookstore and located my Bibles, arranged to have them delivered, and bought some Christmas cards to put into Bibles for handout.

After that, I considered going to the dollar store but decided against it.  I went by McDonald's and got a couple hamburgers for dinner.  I stuck them in my giant tote bag and went off to Walmart.

I wanted one of the neon colored sweatshirts, possibly for my next handout, but they apparently only sell them at the one store.  I did get the long underwear and some navy sweatpants in my size.

How sad that I live in a world where the Women's sizes also come in petite.   While I'm 5'7, I have short legs, so I need the shorter length.  I had a pair of sweatpants in purple, but as I perceive it, the fashion laws say I can only really wear them with the matching purple top.  Kind of limiting.

I had no problem, before I got the pay cut, buying 2 purple hooded sweatshirts (different colors), a purple sweatshirt, and a purple sweatpants.  I adore purple.  I'll wear it, and I do.

I love having versatility in the jackets.  Normally I can just wear a hooded sweatshirt in Houston winters.

At any rate, I had a gap in the wardrobe - nice neutral sweatpants.  I got them.  They're in the wash with the long underwear.

I got some more Christmas cards (they were good, and very affordable), and that about did the budget.   What next.  Some walking, some bus riding, and I was at the location where I'd meet Ron to come home.

I had plenty of time, almost 2 hours.  I was sitting in the sun, what there was, and felt very comfortable. I was outside a big store with security cameras.  Ron would call it "probability estimating" - I wouldn't have a problem.

And I didn't, as I took out my Kindle and read half my book.  77 Days in September.  It's a very good book about a family after an EMP event.  You know I love my post-apocalyptic fiction.

For $4, it certainly entertained me.  In fact, things would get so tense I'd have to put it down, now and then.

So, I read that and drank my diet soda.  I got hungry and started eating a hamburger (I got 2 "values").  Right as I took my first bite, the phone rang and I saw the paratransit vehicle.  I waved and answered, somehow managing not to drop anything important, or choke, and got Ron unloaded.  We did a little shopping and got our ride home.

I was ready for a nap, but the Bibles were coming!   I waited outside with the cats.

The neighbor has wisely left the garage door in place to fool the homeowner's association.  I was worried about fire safety, but he has installed a large window on each "bedroom" (I peeked in the window when they were gone).  Good.  I don't have to worry about his kids roasting alive.  UGH.  That would be horrible.

They can get out the window.  In fact, today, as we pulled up I saw a latino guy climbing out of a window.  I told Ron "If I didn't know they were doing work, I'd take a photo of him and call the police".   I thought it was pretty funny.

So did the worker.

They find Baby Girl pretty funny, she tries to creep up on them, they startle her, and she runs off.  She loves it.   So do the guys.

When I was at Walmart today, I saw the cutest little pet coats.  I loved the leopard print parka.  I could tell Baby Girl would need the XXS.  They didn't have it.  I called Ron and told him how much I wanted to dress her up in a little sweater or coat.    She'd look so cute running around the yard.

Ron said "Your egg timer is going off!  It's your biological clock!"  I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.

He told me I'd have to buy one for Bubba, but we don't have enough money for the hand surgery I'd need.

All in all, a pretty good day.


No comments: