Friday, November 16, 2012

The Death of the Twinkie

So, Hostess is going bankrupt.  I imagine that means that means my former vendor, a guy also named Ron, is now unemployed.  He's a father of 3.  I worked with him for years.

As our business declined, I went from a weekly delivery of almost $100, to every-other-week and $50 a delivery.  Early this year, he said he had to "drop" us, Hostess was forcing them to only accept stops of over $100 each.

We went through a lot together, Ron and I.  I know he was making deliveries before my diagnosis, so I think I worked with him for about 9 years total.  I made a layette when his wife became pregnant, and made his family an afghan after their home was destroyed after Hurricane Ike.

Now he's out of work, one of the 18,000.  I still have his number, I'm going to call him tomorrow and tell him about Metrolift.  "Delivery" jobs are pretty similar, and he has a CDL (commercial driver's license).

Not only that, I know another man.  He used to work for Hostess.  He's got a pension with them.  Will he continue to get his pension?  I think they're set up in such a way that he will; I certainly hope so.  He is caring for his disabled wife and son.

I never ate much of the pastries.  Chocolate is a huge migraine trigger and I never liked those little donuts.  This is heresy for the South, but I don't like honey buns.  I have never been a big fan of the cinnamon roll - except the ones Walmart used to bake.  Oh, those were delicious, and they fell apart as I ate them.  I always liked to start at the edge and follow the strip, around to the center.

We use Cloverhill pastries since we were "laid off" from Hostess.  They are a good product, good quality, good price.

But they don't make Twinkies.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Isn't Little Debbie a subsidiary of Hostess? I don't like sweet, pastry, or baked goods very much (I never even have birthday cake, the closest I come is a key lime pie), but my husband likes those Little Debbie donut sticks. Oh well. They're not good for him anyway. I read something about some huge Mexican corporation putting in a bid for Hostess? Grupo Bimbo, which also has Thomas English Muffins, Sara Lee, etc? The guy who owns it, Daniel Servitje Montull, supposedly made white bread competitive with tortillas in South America, if I understand correctly.

He'll also be able to use cane sugar instead of corn syrup, like Mexican Coca-Colas.