Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"You've got a hands full, there"

The easily offended may want to skip this post.

So, there we are, Ron and I, with an acquaintance.  I'm joking about elder abuse.  "Ron," I told him "When I beat you I never leave marks!"

"That's right" he whined pitifully.

How did we get there?  Well, I needed my blood test.  So, I waited until 10 PM to take my lithium.  I ate my reheated value burger, purchased for the occasion, and swallowed all 4 capsules (I take them all at once, one time a day).

[The ideal is to take the lithium level 12 hours after the last lithium dose]

Then I went to bed.  I got up about 7 and did my God Time (you knew that was coming), shower, TV, etc.  I dressed in a purple t-shirt, matching purple hoodie, and jeans.

Ron was up all night reading a "spicy" talking book murder mystery/romance.  He had huge black circles under his eyes as a result.

We got a ride to the Starbucks.  Ron has a good time waiting while I walk over to the lab and endure the jabbing, slapping, etc.  And that's what happened, I got Ron his skinny latte with 8 splendas, please, and set him up next to the bathroom.  I put his coat over the back of the chair so no one would take it if he had to "go".

I set off to get my blood test, properly hydrated.  I was really dreading the stick.  The last 2 tests were awful.  It took forever, hurt a lot, and then you may remember, last time they filed my test under the wrong name and I had a heck of a time getting my results!

So, I walked in.  New gal.  I noticed a sign on the door "If this office is closed during business hours call this number immediately!"  OOooh.  Someone was slacking on the job.

I paid up and got my blood test, she did a fantastic job.  I don't have a speck of pain.  She filed it under MY name, I checked on the receipt.  She explained I might have to wait until Monday, which is fine.  As long as I get it by Friday I'm good.  The test - 12 hours exactly after my last lithium dose.

I tried to call Ron but he didn't answer, so I went to the pet store and got some "healthy treats" and a larger litter box.  I'd bought some round tubs, about a foot in diameter, at the Dollar store, when we adopted Baby Girl, but she was having a hard time fitting into them.  I had 2 full-size litter boxes already, so I just filled them, but we needed a box in Ron's room.

I got the box, and some healthy treats.  One was a soft jerky treat.  Baby Girl likes them, but not Bubba.  He actually spit them out.  I got the Innova treats, which were very popular last time.  Unlike the "Kitty Crack" they don't have corn syrup, so I like them a lot better.  Bubba likes the Innova treats.  I won't tell them they have vegetables.

Ron likes to feed them the better treats, if possible.  Bubba is pretty old and Baby Girl is still growing.

I walked out with the litter box and the treats, and headed off to Starbucks.  When I got there, I noticed Ron was talking to one of the pet store employees.

We are nearly certain the guy has FAS.  He has a lot of the features, inappropriate comments, overly friendly, poor sense of boundaries, etc.

As I walked in, the guy was asking Ron how the got "the black eyes".  Ron said I was beating him, in a pathetic and quivering tone of voice.

That's when I walked up and said "When I beat you, I don't leave marks!"
"That's right!  I forgot!" Ron whined.
"Don't forget again, or I'll punish you!"
[quivery voice] "Yes, Ma'am."
We laughed.

I then told the guy Ron was up all night reading his hot and spicy murder mystery (talking book), which led to "How does the talking book machine work" and all.

"Boy, you really like purple" he commented, looking at me.

"Yes, I do.  That's the great thing about being married to a blind man!  I can wear purple every day!  I can decorate however I want!"  Ron was laughing.

I forgot about the guy on the laptop, behind me.  He actually has the same computer I do.  I kept doing double-takes, thinking "What is he doing on my computer?"

I explained, "My Dad gave me that exact same computer, last year.  I keep thinking it's mine!"  We both laughed.

As I balanced the litter box, Ron holding onto my shoulder, and began guiding him through the store, Laptop man spoke again.

"You've got your hands full, there!"
"Yes, I do!"  I grinned.  "But I've had him for 20 years so I'll keep him!"


No comments: