Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Back to the green one

Ron looked so pitiful, curled up in a ball, moaning a little.  I didn't have the heart to drag him to Walmart.  I couldn't help but think half an hour was not enough time, anyway.  And then we'd all be upset. 

I told him I would take him up on his cab offer, he gave me the money.  I got my reusable bags and called the cab company.  Within about 10 minutes, Mike the cab driver called me.  He has a huge Suburban, which would make it almost impossible for Ron to get in, these days.  But it was just me.  I greeted him by name when he called, which freaked him out pretty good.  I had to explain I had him in my phone book. 

He came about 10 minutes after that.  I brought my medication (one day's worth), my bags, my money of course, and my garage door opener so I could put everything in the garage. 

He came, I got in, we left.  We chatted a little about female genital mutilation (interesting conversations with the cab drivers).  He only had the vaguest idea.  I was pretty clear on what is done to the women, and why.  He was horrified.  We both agreed, if you're going to make love to a woman, you want her "into" it and screaming about the great job you are doing.  Not lying there like a dead woman. 

We got to the store, I got out.  I got a cart.  I went down my list, picking things off.  I had a problem at the first, though.  They did not have powdered, decaf, tea.  I went with tea bags, instead.  I got my coconut cream, and the tuna.  Powerade, and oops, I had to go back for the case of water.  I also had to double back to get wet wipes.  We use them (throw them in the garbage can), and they are great.  My rate of bladder infections went way down.  Ron loves them, too.  But you could not find a wet wipe in Houston after hurricane Harvey, so I went ahead and got an extra pack. 

Both the water, and the tuna, levels were low.  I think because other people are watching that thing in the Gulf.  The thing in the Gulf

It can't hurt to be careful.  I had a pretty uneventful shopping trip, my only real puzzle how to manage my tote bags (under the basket), the water, and the cat litter.  I did get it all.  I was looking for clippers, but that season is past.  I did look, though.  It was suggested I look on the back wall.  As I headed that way, I passed the fishing section and found a display of adult life vests. 

That was a big concern for me during Harvey, getting Ron out safely.  He cannot walk or even stand in any kind of water.  He is helpless.  He needs a way to float.  I had considered going to a boating store and getting a vest for him, but that was something for another day.  But here I was looking at life vests at Walmart. 

I only found them because I had the time to look.  I looked around and found an ugly green and black one that would work for Ron.  It was his size.  Then I saw the traditional boater style ones, the kind I wore on my stepfather's boat when we went fishing.  I remember those weren't terribly comfortable, so I went back to the green one and threw it in the cart.  It wasn't cheap, but it will provide a lot of peace of mind if we ever do get flooded.  Or even if it looks like it. 

Still haven't figured out what to do with the cats, if we flood, but God will give me a good idea or two. 

So, I was done.  I found a register with a cashier I like.  There was a lady with a lot of stuff in front of me but I find I am becoming more patient.  We struck up a conversation.  She had a spanish accent.  She said she loves living here, in America.  Her biggest concerns are her health and feeding her feral cats, unlike "back home".  She kept talking about the greatness of America and how wonderful we citizens are to her.  She was really delightful. 

If only they were all like that!   Finally my turn. 

It wasn't cheap.  Ron had asked me to buy him 2 big containers of cashews and they are $10 each.  Then I thought, if Ron has cashews I'd better get cashews.  And the lifevest was $40.  You get the idea. 

It didn't take half of what I had, though.  Thank you God, and I already made my deposit for the month (autopays). 

I went to McDonald's.  I got a vanilla shake and some chicken nuggets.  Something told me not to get the shake, but I did.  And I accidentally dislodged the top and got vanilla shake all over my t-shirt.  I got most of it down, some more on me, all over my hands, and even some on my toes (flip flops).  What a mess.  I was eating like Ron, for once. 

I took my pills.  Then I called Mike.  He said he might have a trip, call him back in a little bit.  I called Ron and asked him to go down his list of cab drivers (he has a long list), and find me a guy.  He was a little grumbly at first but I figured he at least owed me a ride home, and he could feel like he "helped" me get home. 

He called me back in 2 minutes, Arturo would be coming.  I like Arturo but I worry about his soul, based on things he has said.  But I can pray for him. 

I finished my shake.  There was a man in a wheelchair, coughing virulently.  Oh, that reminds me, I need to go take an oregano oil capsule.  I moved away from him. 

A wheelchair cab pulled up, not paratransit (I believe, according to the Americans with Disabilities act, a certain percentage of cabs have to take wheelchairs).  He wanted to know if I was his fare, nope.  I'm waiting on Arturo.  In the meantime, Mike called me back.  I told him I already had a ride. 

I helped the driver find his fare and they left.  The man in the wheelchair was waiting on paratransit, but they were late.  Arturo came.  I cleaned off my hands and he put everything away before I could blink, even the 40 pound case of cat litter. 

We went home.  I used my remote to open the door and make it easier to do the groceries without cats escaping.  Open the garage door, put the crap inside.  Close the garage door, open the door to the house, take the crap inside.  Cats don't escape while I'm bringing in one bag after another. 

Generally, though the cats don't try to leave the house.  Occasionally the get a wild hair and run into the garage, when the door's closed.  That's OK. 

I took Ron his chicken (I got him some hot food) and he gobbled it happily, then asked me to put the leftovers away.  I only got him a couple of ranch chicken bites and two chicken strips, but half of that was more than filling.  I forget the most strenuous thing he does it get up to pee. . That's an interesting one, he stands up halfway and leans his head on a chair, then uses a bottle.  Anyway, he got protein today which is what matters.  Once he finds his cashews he will be a snacking fool. .

I put everything away - sometimes I have a bad habit of leaving things in their bags for a while.  But today I got it all.  I pretreated the stains on my t-shirt and put it in the wash.  I took a nap, woke up with a headache, took some Excedrin.  I got up pretty late for me which means I will be up late. 

We don't have any rides for tomorrow which is fine.  I plan to focus on cleaning up the house tonight and throwing away as much as I can.  I have learned my lesson about not taking out the garbage before a storm system.  I think it was Ike.  I was stuck with that garbage, plus the stuff I generated, for weeks until they resumed garbage pickups.  I swore I would always take out the trash every week, and I do, even if the can only has a small bag or two. 

Headache is gone, thank God.  I am as prepared as I can be if that storm system comes.  The only thing I think it will affect is our supply run on Saturday.  We may not be able to do it.  If we can't, we can't.  I won't feel bad about it. 

If we lose power I lose the computer, so I will, if I am able to, do quick blogs from my cell phone.  I don't expect this to be a bad storm, we apparently have some wind shear to keep it from becoming a monster, but I might lose power and transportation for a few days.  Even if we lose water I have that.  I'm not worried about that.  I even have the bath wipes Ron uses, I just bought one of those mega-sized Sam's Club packs a while back.  I have most of that.  So I won't stink or get thirsty. 

I always over plan these things, but I don't like getting caught short. 

Off I go to do some picking up. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you go out by yourself do you ever use Uber? The app is great and they're so fast. Do you know what the cost comparison is to taking a cab?

Heather Knits said...

I don't want anything linking to my credit card, on my cell phone. I don't even have email on my phone. I don't want to lose it, or have it stolen.

I have heard a few things about Uber drivers. I am comfortable with the cab company and I have a good reputation with them, they know me and I tend to get the same guys, or great new guys.

Besides, Ron paid for it. :p

Anonymous said...

Ok that's good, whatever works best for you.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how popular Uber is. Kids must have turned deaf ears about getting into cars with strangers.
I live in Kalamazoo where Jason Dalton was an Uber driver who killed several people claiming a devil figure popped up on his phone and told him to do it.
He's still in jail waiting on his trial.

Anonymous said...

Being from the west coast (you know how crazy we are ha) Uber is very popular, everyone I know takes Uber. Just normal and every day thing to us.