Monday, September 17, 2018

Magnets. Who'd'a thunk?

Long day today.  I got up around 5.  Started getting ready.  Someone started banging on my door and ringing my doorbell like a bill collector, or a stalking ex.  Not that I've ever had a stalking ex, that I know of. 

I opened it, in my bathrobe.  It was the driver.  Over an hour early.  I told him that and shut the door.  I continued getting ready, got Ron ready, and we left. 

We took a couple bottles of water for him to drink in case doc wanted to do a urine test.  We went to work, it was a pretty standard day.  I stocked, I helped Ron stock.  We got it all done. 

Ron finished early and went out and waited in the hall.  He likes it because it is quiet and not overstimulating like the main body of the cafeteria, and it is out of the way. 

Once I finished, we put Ron in his travel wheelchair and locked up his work chair.  Whenever Ron gets into a chair, including his wheelchair, he grunts in pain.  It is very uncomfortable for him to sit down.  His back pain radiates down to his butt and makes travel/sitting hell. 

We got picked up and went to the Social Security office.  We were there for a good 10 minutes trying to find the client, doing "callouts" and the driver actually got off the vehicle and wandered around, calling the client's name.  No luck.  They finally let us go, and off we went. 

We got to the doctor's office with plenty of time to spare.  Ron had to fill out another depression survey.  I filled it out for him.  The other patients were laughing at his responses.  "No, Gawd, people really think?  Oh, come on!"  Eventually they took us in the exam room. 

I offered to show Ron the rubber spine, knee, or shoulder.  He wasn't interested.  He drank some more water (he had a bottle on the way).  Doc came in, did an exam.  Doc increased Ron's medication dose and said he wanted to try something. 

"What?" Ron asked. 
"I think it will help" Doc replied. 
He had Ron "stand" - as much as he can, and got some supplies, taped something to Ron's back.  Had Ron sit down again.  He had Ron sit for a few minutes.  "How do you feel?" 

Ron moved back and forth in his wheelchair.  "A little better".  Doc had Ron get out of his chair and sit in a regular chair, then go back.  "Normally he yelps when he does that" I said. 

Whatever doc had done, seemed to be working.  He had Ron sit for another couple minutes while he showed me the magnets and told me how to apply them.  Ron said it felt like he had a back support behind him, and he liked it.  He kept rolling his back, back and forth.  He said it felt like a massage.  Doc was happy and we left. 

We had a little bit of a wait on our ride, but it was a driver we like.  By this point, Ron had been sitting up in his wheelchair for several hours.  Normally he isn't good for that long.  The magnets really seemed to be helping. 

We went home, I took a nap.  Ron stayed up for a while.  When I woke up he was listening to the Astros game.  He has gotten more into baseball recently, I find that encouraging. 

We got ready and went to Walmart.  They said his prescription would be ready by 3.  It was after that.  I also needed to get some more tape for the magnets.  The only first aid tape I have is of dubious age.  I wanted some fresh for Ron. 

We went to the store.  I got everything on my list, up to the pharmacy (I make my list by the store layout, first things first, middle of the store next, etc.).  I waited in line and went to the counter.  There was a problem. 

I had to go to the other window and talk to them.  The doctor's office had not listed the diagnosis with the prescription.  Again.  They couldn't fill it until Doc told them what was wrong with Ron.  Again.

I mean, let's look at that for a minute.  What isn't wrong with him?  But they had to have it or no pills.  I called Ron and told him the bad news.  He was pretty pissed. 

I continued my shopping.  Ron said he wanted a small can of cashews, etc.  I got that.  I got the cat litter, I needed another 40 pounds.  It made the cart heavy and hard to steer. 

The store was a cacophony of screaming children, crying babies, strident voices talking on cell phones, etc.  It was pretty overwhelming but that's why I take my pills.  So I can handle things like this. 

Ron called the cab before I checked out.  Big mistake.  I got stuck behind two women buying a lot of processed foods.  The second woman also had a bunch of baby girl clothes, but no diapers, so I figured they were a gift. 

The cashier was pretty speedy until she got to the baby clothes, then she slowly scanned them, examined them, fingered the fabrics, double-checked the prices, etc.  I had to figure she had a baby girl at home, but it was aggravating to have her "shop" when I was in a hurry.  Ron kept calling my cell phone every couple minutes, telling me to hurry.  I know the cashier hear me telling him I was going as fast as I could, I would be out ASAP, etc.., more than once. 

I store all my reusable bags in a reusable insulated tote.  So they can just open the tote, reach in, and take out the bags.  She picked up the tote and moved it off to the side, then started scanning things and putting them into plastic bags.  I told her no, I wanted them in my bags, and took them out.  She shoved one off to the side "I can't use that".  It was identical to the other bag she was using.  Ron kept blowing up my cell phone, getting progressively angrier.  It made life difficult for me, trapped between the lackadaisical cashier and my irate husband. 

Of course the cab arrived before I was done.  I finally finished and paid her.  I could tell she didn't have a lot of cash handling experience by the way she held and handled the money, she even had trouble giving my change.  FINALLY done. 

I ran out and found Ron, and the cab driver.  I explained about the baby clothes.  Ron said, on his own, he would not call the cab until I had checked out.  I told him that was a good idea (I had already had it, but if Ron thinks he owns it so much the better). 

We went home. 

I put everything away and ate my dinner.  It was pretty late.  I took off Ron's magnets.  Doc said not to let him sleep in them.  They don't work on their own, but they are a good supplement to Ron's other modalities. 

Doc also wants Ron to get that MRI so they can see what all is going on.  They know, from the x-ray report, Ron has serious arthritis.  But what else?  God only knows, I think I'm afraid to find out. 

We have tomorrow off.  Ron set it up so I get an extra day off this week, for my birthday. 

What a day. 

I just hope I can get Ron taped up OK with the magnets tomorrow. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to volunteer at a horse stable. They were doing magnet therapy on old horses too.

Heather Knits said...

It sure seems to help Ron. I would definitely suggest it before sending someone to the glue factory!