Thursday, September 6, 2018

Waxing

Well, I shouldn't have bragged about Ron's sobriety.  Or temperance, rather. 

Last night he got really wasted, I had to roll him to bed.  He was not offensive or loud.  He did not fall or babble incoherently.  He mumbled a little. 

I got him to bed because I would have worried about him falling and hurting himself, or getting lost in the house (it happens when he drinks, sometimes).  That's not exactly restful, lying in bed, waiting for the crash.  So I took him to bed. 

I had a hard time falling asleep and the commensurate trouble getting up this morning.  I did take my shower and shave my legs, though.  I took a vial of ginseng, I am off caffeine.  I got Ron ready. 

We left and went to the warehouse.  We got there early.  The driver was not very talkative.  You really need to be an extreme extrovert to do the job well.  She barely said 3 words on the way.  I had to correct Ron when he made an inappropriate camera - comment, I mean.  They have a camera, I worry one day the footage will be reviewed. 

So we waited.  The manager got the lemon cake Ron likes and set that up for samples.  Ron ate 2 slices.  I saw it as letting him have my slice.  God knows I wasn't eating that crap.  It's good, but in no way keto. 

I did our shopping, which didn't take long.  I looked at the meat counter.  I guess you could say I am trying to find a butcher.  Each of my 3 choices has pluses and minuses.  Food Town is great but a hassle to get to, and I didn't see any pot roast; Walmart is good but they are more expensive; Sam's is cheaper but has a limited selection and the portions are huge.  I don't have a deep freeze, my actual freezer is pretty small.  So, still looking. 

Houston is a great town for food, raw and cooked.  There are a million meat markets.  But I have to get Ron to take me, take a cab, or take the bus.  So Walmart may work the best since I go there anyway. 

We waited until our pickup.  We ended up riding with an extremely obese woman and her son.  They each hogged up 2 seats a piece.  On a shared ride service, you really need to consider you are sharing the ride.  I try to sit in such a way, and have Ron sit, so that someone could sit next to us if needed.  We don't hog up 2-3 seats out of some outmoded sense of "personal space". 

At any rate, the other woman asked a bunch of extremely invasive questions about our business, as if she were going to start her own vending business.  We made sure to tell her the difficulties and how it is a Federal program for blind vendors.  Which means you must be blind.  Which she wasn't.  And pass a health exam (which she would not).  That finally shut her up.  Then she kept trying to give us suggestions on how to "expand". 

Why does everyone think we want an empire?  Especially looking at Ron, it is clear he cannot work overmuch.  I'm not going to accept business advice from someone on welfare, whose son can't/won't even drive her around (he was old enough to drive, and able to). 

We got to work, I unloaded.  Whenever we have any sort of package I handle it.  I never assume that is the driver's job.  The only time I ever asked for help was when my shoulder messed up last year.  It really limited my lifting and I needed help.  But that was one time in 15 years of riding. 

I went in the building, leaving Ron to sit guard dog over our purchases.  I ran into the other vendor and our mutual repairman.  He gave me a hug and asked how we were doing, I told him Ron's back was pretty bad, but the machines were good.  He went outside and talked to Ron, asked about his elbow.  Ron told him the truth, he fell when he was drunk. 

In the meantime, I was confronted with a lot of barricades.  They were waxing the main aisle way.  To their credit, they didn't know we were coming in, we normally don't work Thursdays.  But I had to walk pretty far out of the way and thread my way through some of the machines to get to our area.  I got the cart.  Then I had to do the same thing in reverse. 

I got Ron and put him in the building, told him not to move.  I put all our stuff (3 cases) on the cart and brought that in.  Then I had Ron hang onto the cart while I went out of the way and threaded my way between the machines.  I didn't see any other way to do it. 

I assume work wants us as far away from the machines as possible, but it was the only way to get to our duty station.  I got Ron in there and he went to work.  He told me to do my work first, but started asking for help.  It was OK, we had time.  Ron banged his leg and started bleeding.  I patched him up.  I caught my leg on a screw inside one of the vending machines and scratched it.  It started bleeding.  I fixed it up. 

It was just our day for bleeding. 

I did my work but things were pretty slow due to the waxing/our area being effectively blocked off.  Ron was tired and his back hurt, so he cancelled our ride home and took a cab. 

The cab driver was very nice about putting away the wheelchair.  I liked him.  Yellow cab has a way to give a driver a 1-5 star rating, so, yesterday, I gave him 5 stars.  He proved he deserved it, again, today.  Very nice man. 

Ron finds it far easier to get into the sedan cab, than the Kia Sportage we were using.  So he plans to call the guy a lot more often, and he is definitely eager for the business.  Nice guy. 

We got home.  I took a nap and I think Ron did too.  He started drinking at some point, though.  Said it was for his back. 

Per Ron, the pills help, some.  He would like a higher dosage or more frequency on it, though. . Per Ron, vodka helps "some", it makes it easier for him to sit down.  He is always complaining his butt hurts (save the jokes!). 

We went out to dinner.  Ron was rather impatient with the server but I talked him into apologizing and leaving a good tip.  I got exactly what I ordered, keto, and took my pills.  Our ride home arrived early. 

On the way home, we stumbled over the subject of the scammer.  There is a blind man, lives not that far from us.  He is obnoxious.  He is always demanding the drivers buy him treats with their money, take him out of the way to get food or snacks (unscheduled trips that could get them fired).  He claims he has a real estate business but he is living in welfare housing.  More than one driver has warned us about him.  He actually lost his service at one point, sued, and got it back.  None of the drivers likes him.  Just the mention of him will get them raving for a good 10 minutes. 

God, I hope they don't feel that way about us. 

We got home, I pushed Ron to bed.  He never got into bed, I found him slumped over with his head on the bed and his body in the wheelchair.  I asked if he wanted help getting into bed and he said no.  Let me go check on him.  He got in OK.  He is sleeping, which is always good. 

I will say, Ron is up a lot at night.  Sometimes, if I wake up and get a glass of water, he will greet me delightedly.  But he is nearly always very quiet, respecting my need for sleep. 

I tend to roar at him if he wakes me up.   I think he has a healthy terror of that. 

So I give him the same respect, if he is sleeping I will not wake him up unless a ride is coming. 

I just need to check the mail in a couple of minutes, and feed the possum.  Well, I'm feeding something, which is eating the cat food.  I assume it is a possum, if not the possum. 

I am also contemplating moving some furniture around so the cats can enjoy a kitty condo by the front window.  I have a plastic box stored over there by the window, it has enough room for one cat.  Problem being, both girls want the box.  Torbie has been winning that debate, lately.  I feel bad for Baby Girl, that used to be her spot.  She is hanging out more under my chair which I guess is OK but it's not by the window. 

So, tomorrow (or Sunday), I will move everything out in front of the window, get rid of it (somehow) and move the kitty condo into place so BOTH cats can hang out by the window.  I want to be an equitable parent.  I had the bitter taste of favoritism, growing up, and I didn't like it.  I don't want to play favorites with the cats.  Yes, Torbie is more cuddly, but Baby Girl was here first and deserves equal access to the window. 

I'll get it done. 

I asked Ron, nicely, for a short trip to Walmart tomorrow.  I said I would take the bus, and a cab, if he didn't want to go.  I told him I only needed a short trip (I do) and he said he would do it.  I just checked the dispatch computer (there is a way to do that) and found that he had made trips for tomorrow.  Good. 

I need to get some more bandages.  His elbow is healing slowly.  I also need more cotton pads for the peroxide.  I'd better get going on my list. 

And then go check the mail.  Mail should be fun this month because I have my birthday, so I anticipate a package or two. 

6 comments:

AV said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Since when? “But he is nearly always very quiet, respecting my need for sleep”

Heather Knits said...

Can't give a date but overall he is pretty good about "letting" me sleep. If he doesn't, not only do I roar at him, but I write about it. So far, so good. Hope I don't regret writing that now. It's like talking about how good your kid/pet has been and how they let you sleep through the night - and then they don't. But we'll see.

Heather Knits said...

Andrea, full name? I'm having vapors over that.

Yes, I judge other clients. I think they should all have overt physical problems, or be mentally limited, to ride. But they let just about anyone ride if their doctor will fill out the paperwork.

When I filed my forms, I was honest and said I did take the bus on occasion. That was the deal killer for me.

About trips Ron might not take himself: not these days. With his back I am lucky to get a ride to Walmart, where I buy things that benefit HIM and me. Today I did not get that ride to Walmart, I had to take a cab each way.

Yes, I can take the bus if I have the time for 2 hours each way, plus lugging home the coconut milk and Powerades. I think that would make even a non-disabled person a little tired.

Anonymous said...

There are countless blog posts citing times where he was drunk all night making noise - keeping you up....?

Heather Knits said...

Yeah, but he has been better about "letting" me sleep. He is not stupid and knows that is one of the few things that would drive me off. If I can't get my sleep, that affects my illness and that is unacceptable. Especially since it's something he can control.

If he fell out of bed and needed help getting back in, sober, I would be happy to help him. Same with other "homecare" issues, but we don't have those.

Generally he is getting really wasted in the early evening before I go to bed. After yesterday's confusion he has said he will cut back (for a while, I'm sure).