Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Playing favorites

I shouldn't have had the Diet Root beer.  It provoked a small headache which I quickly whacked with some generic Excedrin.  I have to wonder if I could have avoided the migraine if I had taken some Excedrin on Sunday.  Instead, I took one Tylenol and one Aspirin.  I wanted to take a nap and I knew the caffeine would keep me up.  Bad result. 

The root beer has been implicated in headaches before but my overwhelming thirst (I imagine I am still a little dehydrated) said drink something, and they were cold in the fridge. 

I took a nap after I drank it.  Biscuit joined me.  He is also on my foot right now.  He is a very devoted cat.  He is a real gift, and to think someone just threw him away, and someone else saw him as a pest to be kicked in the head.  People don't value the right things.  He is worth every (considerable) penny I have spent on him. 

Torbie also joined me for a little bit.  Now, it is time to talk about a subject I have been considering for a blog: playing favorites. 

I am sure, if you were in a family with more than one child, your parent played favorites.  I know I do and I "only" have cats.  Biscuit and Torbie are the sweetest and most affectionate, therefore I favor them more.  It is wrong, I know, but very hard to stop. 

But Baby Girl does love me in her own way.  The other night, I had just been vomiting and was miserable.  I got an ice bottle (good concept) out of the freezer to lay on my head.  I walked past her, laying on her box, and she meowed, and showed me her tummy for petting. 

That used to be a thing with us, back when we let the cats run loose, she would run up to me when I came home and show me her tummy, for rubs.  She will not let Ron touch her stomach, even though he is her favorite.  She will growl and hiss at him if he touches it, but she is happy, if she shows it to me, to let me pet and rub it. 

So I rubbed her tummy, as she wiggled back and forth, and purred at me.  Then I left her and went back to bed with the other 2.  Don't feel too bad for her, she spends a lot of time curled up with Ron, even when he hasn't had a bath.  She is devoted to him and that warms my heart.  I would love her even if she didn't let me pet her, just for that. 

So I do my best not to play favorites.  But it's hard, and gives me an appreciation for some things I experienced as a child.   It's not easy to love all your "children" equally. 

Either that, or my experiences have warped me.  Your choice. 

Still kind of thirsty but not up for any drinks right now.  Still a little queasy from the Excedrin, but I could not afford another migraine or even a headache.  I need to get better, get eating (when hungry) and start taking my pills again.  I am a little manic, but not depressed, not hallucinating, etc. and I want to keep it that way. 

When I feel a little craving I will "hit" my bone broth again - it is pretty good.  Once I finish it off I might try a spoonful of soup if I'm hungry.  I stock plenty of beef & barley soup for times like this. 

Just like I bought the Gatorade powder, which has proven to be a good investment.  I drank a alot of it over the last couple days, didn't get worse, didn't need an IV which would have added to our already considerable medical bills.  And it stores easy, just add a scoop to some tap water. 

And yes, I drink tap water.  I went to a water treatment plant when I was a Girl Scout and it was enough to convince me that my tap water was safe (stop laughing!).  My family never did bottled water in any way, well, my sister and grandmother did, but nuclear family did not.  So I grew up drinking out of the tap. 

I have lived some places where the water tasted bad but our current water is pretty good, I have no complaints.  We have a filter for Ron (he gives the cats filtered water), but I don't use it.  I just drink it out of the tap whenever I get thirsty. 

Considering, on a good day (not today) I drink up to 2 gallons a day that is a good thing.  That would be a lot of filters, or water bottles.  I will drink bottled water at work, because we have it as inventory, because the water at work is so bad it is only fit for dishwashing. 

Ugh.  Queasy and thirsty at the same time.  Not a good duo.  I am going to take it very slow on reintroducting food to my life. 

I am down a few pounds, which would be nice if it stuck, like last time, but not holding my breath. 

I have certainly learned my lesson about chocolate. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents played favorites and I wasn't it.

Heather Knits said...

Neither was I, but the "favorite" didn't turn out so well so it turns out they did me a favor.

I work very hard at being equitable with the cats, but I can only imagine if I have problems with them, I would have had problems with kids.

Now, it could be everyone does this, or it could be I'm just "broke" and "defective". I always figured my programming meant I would not make a good parent. Add my disabilities and Ron's problems, it would have been a disaster.

I think even the worst heckler would have to say it's a good thing we never had human children.