Saturday, September 22, 2018

A small vent

Just a little post first and then I will do another with the meat of my day. 

Coming home tonight, we got a driver we apparently haven't seen in a while.  He made a huge production out of Ron being in a wheelchair and kept asking "What happened?"  Ron told him.  I told him.  He didn't seem to get it "What happened?  You didn't used to be in a wheelchair!  I can't believe it!"  I finally said "He got worse" because the guy had some language difficulties.  English was not his first language.  He got that, he stopped, and looked at me.  "Most clients get worse, right?  So did Ron."  That seemed to end it. 

But, I mean, think about it.  You are a driver on a service for (supposed to be) profoundly disabled people.  Why is it such a shock they get worse?  People get more infirm as they age.  Not to mention, new problems develop. 

This isn't the first time it's happened.  Whenever Ron has a setback and goes back in the wheelchair (happened a couple of times in the last 15 years), the drivers always make such a big deal out of it.  "OMG!  What happened?!"  I have stuck to simply saying "He got worse".  If I am feeling particularly peeved, I will say the sex was so good it put him back in the wheelchair.  That's always a good reaction. 

No comments: