Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Possum clippers (and you thought we were done with the possum)

I got up around 9 this morning, pretty early, considering I had stayed up late last night.  I had a mild headache but it went away pretty quick. 

I talked to Ron, took my shower, did some accounting stuff, and did my God Time.  I took my nap, woke up with a fiercer headache.  I took some generic Excedrin for it.  It helped, but not all the way. 

I got online for a little bit, saw this, Texas is starting to get ready for that storm.  Since I had a little energy from the caffeine, I decided to move the box in the front room.  I had a box sitting by the front window, but stray cats come around and my cats want to watch them.  All the cats want to watch them.  But there's only one box. 

But they don't use the kitty condo in my room, which is about 5 feet tall.  It has multiple shelves for cats.  I've never seen all 3 at once, but I've seen 2 at a time on the condo.  It has fallen out of favor in my room, the front room is the hot spot.  So I got rid of the box and put it in the garage.  I cleared out the floor, finding my clippers. 

Remember yesterday, Walmart didn't have clippers?  Well I had these.  These are the kind with the long handle that provide good leverage to snap a branch.  I saw one TV show where a coroner uses them to cut ribs.  Not that I plan to do that. 

So, I had clippers.  They had been behind a stack of Bibles I had to move.  I had two stacks, I had to make one, much taller, stack.  I found the clippers, which reeked of possum.  The Bibles were fine. The possum must have been sleeping on the clippers.  I will have to wipe them down with rubbing alcohol or a disinfecting wipe. 

I was happy to see them, because a tree branch is rubbing against the house, and if we get serious winds, that's going to be a problem.  I don't need it ripping shingles off of Ron's room. 

But first, the condo.  I had to move some things off the condo before I moved it, and clear a path (because it is pretty wide).  I did that, and dragged it up front.  Baby Girl looked at me with betrayal.  I had taken her box.  Forget I had just brought a deluxe kitty condo that cost over $100, I had taken her box.  She was disoriented.  Biscuit jumped right up practically before I had time to put it into place.  It banged up against the claws on the bear, so it sticks out a little. 

I have a full sized stuffed bear in the living room, against the wall in the front room.  The claws stick out a bit and pushed the condo a little into the passage area for the front door.  But if I have to take Ron out/in I can do it. 

I finally got it positioned.  Biscuit was loafing on a middle shelf.  I gave him a few treats, which he did not eat.  Treats?  Baby Girl came over, and I tried to give her some treats on a lower shelf.  She wouldn't get up so I put her up there, and she ate her treats and had a look around.  She has a prime view of the outside now.  2 cats can easily watch the stray I've been feeding. 

That done, I put the box in the garage.  Then I took the clippers (oh, they reek) and went out back.  I had a little trouble opening the gate but that's OK, I want it to be hard for people to sneak in my yard.  God knows I have had enough of that. 

So I went out back and battled with the tree branch.  Before our tree out front was drastically trimmed a few years ago, it used to droop branches that would tickle Ron's head, when he walked.  Drivers wouldn't park under the overhanging branches.  Back when Ron could walk, he would walk around, jump up (!) and grab a branch, pulling it down.  Then I would use the clippers to snip it. 

I didn't have Ron to pull the branch down and hold it in place.  I found holding the branch under my armpit worked pretty well.  I left a little pile of branches on the ground.  The branch ends are now a couple feet away from the house, it should be fine. 

It's a very healthy tree.  I went back in the house. 

I need to clean off my counter but I will wait and see how bad the flooding becomes, from the storm.  If it looks like we will resume normal garbage service, I will do it this weekend.  If it looks like we won't, I'll wait.  It's been this bad for a while, a little longer won't hurt it.  But I don't want to fill up the can and then there's no room for real trash. 

Ron had a very painful morning, with moaning and screaming.  He finally got that under control and is sleeping.  He will be very happy to hear he has a couple of new talking books. 

I got some cube steaks yesterday, I will cook them tomorrow.  I won't wake him up - especially when he had such a bad day. 

We work tomorrow but not long.  It is looking more and more like we will NOT be doing a supply run this weekend. 

That will make life interesting. 

No comments: